Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently bought a '92 300E Formatic (150K on the clock). Nearly all systems work. One problem is that the 'recirculation' button has a mind of it's own. After about 30 minutes of driving, the red light begins to flash and I can only get warmed air. This happens even when the temperature dial is set for AC. At no time have I actually activated the recirc switch. Poltergeist, perhaps mein Herren? Did a driveby at the local MB dealer where the mechanic posited that it was the switch but couldn't be sure unless he did an electronic diagnosis ($150). Any suggestions. The other problem is that the antenna doesn't go up and down, but the motor apparently is working ??????

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I had the same problem(flashing Recirc light) with my 1990 300e. This had me, and my mechanic puzzled. I changed the Overvoltage relay, voltage regulator, and EGR valve, with no luck. We finally changed out the coil, and I haven't experienced this problem again. My problem sounds very similar to yours, I would drive the car for 30 minutes or so, and the Recirc light would start flashing, the heat would come on(although the climate control was on A/C), and eventually the car would start running rough. In the beginning, you could turn the car off and then start it back up, and the light would not be flashing anymore. In regards to the antenna not working, it sounds like you just need an antenna mast, they're pretty cheap. Please keep us posted on this issue, I hope mine never does this again, but if it does, it nice to know what others have done to fix the problem.

Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks to bigbenzman

Got your mesage and will pursue that avenue to see if that will remedy the AC/heater problem. Might take a couple days. As to the antenna, the motor apparently is working, buit the mast doesn't respond to anything but gravity. Thought that maybe the way to go was to get at the workings through the trunk liner and see if I needed to reattach something. Re the Benz, our first. Had Beemers in the past and this is a different 'drive'. Will take a bit of accustoming. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AC 7 heater controls on 92 300 E

Since replacing the coil didn't sound logical, I opted for a working, used control module. The 'new' unit didn't work right either, so rather than spend a lot of time divining the problem, we replaced the old unit and voila, it works. All that we can figure is that the pins in the module (from the electrical harness) were apparently not all fully inserted (the plastic cover that holds them in place is nowhere in sight). Once we reinsterted all the pins into the sockets - things began to operate normally. Anyone need a good used heater/ac control module???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts