Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Curious. How do I, with a stock C230K engine, accelerate the best off the line. I'm not interested in "racing" because I know my car isn't really made for that. I'm not going to drop extra cash into my car to try to either. I am just looking for some sound advice that makes me an informed driver, a driver who understands the limitations of his car. I've used the Triptronic shifting, but I'm just wondering how do I get the best bang for my already spent buck. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
done that before... I feel a little pull first, and then after a brief pause then it GETS going. I can only assume (in my ignorance) that this is the 4-cylender starting and then the Supercharger picking up the slack, giving me that second burst. Is this correct? On a side note, does the air conditioning being on effect the acceleration? Or is that a myth?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
MB's with auto tranmissions have a weird throttle tip in. It is the cause of the lag. This doesn not exist on the six speeds.

All the auto mags have found that they get the best results by putting the car in drive and mashing the gas. For some reason, this really pisses them off.

In modern cars, the air conditioner compressor is disconnect using its magnetic clutch when the car is under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
All air conditioner compressors that I have seen on cars have a magnetic clutch. Usually, it is controlled by the air conditioner controls and cabin temperature. The function of the clutch is to disconnect the compressor when it isn't needed. Disconnecting the compressor from being driven when it is not needed increases fuel economy, and causes less wear to the compressor and the engine.

With the modern computer controlled engine management systems, it is possible for the ECU to recognize when the throttle is full open and/or when more power is needed. The ECU wiil then send a command to the magnetic clutch to disengage. The power that was being comsumed to drive the compressor is now available to accelerate the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts