Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have been searching through this forum for over a year to find answers to problems and to learn more about the car. Now I am stuck and need help!!! I have a 2009 c300 sport and just replaced the air filters. After Driving for the past two days a check engine light illuminated. I can't remember the code, but the mixture was too rich in bank 1. I put my fingers back to feel if the box was connected to the engine and have noticed that the rubber gasket on the filter box that connects to the engine seems to be too short resulting in a gap between the filter box and engine. All four clips are seated properly. I pulled the rubber gasket off of the filter box and put it on the metal engine intake. After replacing the filter box I put my fingers in the small openings and tried to work the gasket halfway between the engine intake and the filter box. The check engine light has turned off after six starts, but I am very worried that air may still be leaking. Is there a trick to putting this on? Many have said that there is a metal clip that holds the box on the engine and I have no such clip. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
A tiny amount of lubricant or rubber grease on the sealing ring at 4c in the illustration ensures a snug fit. Not all models have the rear clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric, Thank you. 4c in the illustration is the seal is question. If I left the seal seated in the filter housing as illustrated it would not make contact with the engine resulting in a gap. I had to take 4c off of the filter housing and mount it on the engine first. After placing the filter box back on the engine, ensuring all pressure pins were seated, I moved the rubber seal up about 1/2 inch to meet the filter box. I tried running the engine at half throttle to see if i could feel any air leaks but it is very hard to tell. Is there a good way to check for leaks? My filter housing has a spot for the clip, but no clip exists, I hope this is the way it should be! Thank you very much for the response, I haven't dared to drive the car!

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Eric, Thank you. 4c in the illustration is the seal is question. If I left the seal seated in the filter housing as illustrated it would not make contact with the engine resulting in a gap. I had to take 4c off of the filter housing and mount it on the engine first. After placing the filter box back on the engine, ensuring all pressure pins were seated, I moved the rubber seal up about 1/2 inch to meet the filter box. I tried running the engine at half throttle to see if i could feel any air leaks but it is very hard to tell. Is there a good way to check for leaks? My filter housing has a spot for the clip, but no clip exists, I hope this is the way it should be! Thank you very much for the response, I haven't dared to drive the car!
It seems to me you are worrying unduly, drive the car and enjoy your car, if there is a leak the CEL will come on but it will not hurt the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CEL went off again today. I checked to see if there was a gap and I cant feel one. I guess I will have to haul it off the the dealer to get it looked at. Does any one know what the price is like to have a CEL diagnosed? I am convinced it is the air filter setup.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
I cannot say what the price is but the dealer is not cheap. Better to use a local workshop that has appropriate OBDII test equipment and ask for the codes to be read out. Let us know what the codes are and we can soon work out what is wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was planing on calling to set up a service appointment to have the problem resolved, but last night the CEL turned off on its own. This is very confusing. I guess I will keep driving and hopefully it wont come back on. What do you all think, should I take it in? Will they be able to pull a code with the CEL off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the air filter covers (near 4b in the picture) need a perfect seal? Mine don't align perfectly and some of the bolts won't tighten all the way down. This leaves me with a small gap in some places.

I just changed my filters for the first time and my 2009 ML350 is throwing P0172/P0175 "System Too Rich" check engine messages.

Although, after reading this thread I don't know for sure if my air filter assembly is making perfect contact with the intake. I don't even remember seeing a rubber seal.

·
Premium Member
1,865 Posts
Does anyone know if the air filter covers (near 4b in the picture) need a perfect seal? Mine don't align perfectly and some of the bolts won't tighten all the way down. This leaves me with a small gap in some places.

I just changed my filters for the first time and my 2009 ML350 is throwing P0172/P0175 "System Too Rich" check engine messages.

Although, after reading this thread I don't know for sure if my air filter assembly is making perfect contact with the intake. I don't even remember seeing a rubber seal.
The rubber seal is between the air filter and the air mass meter, best take it all apart and check this seal is in place, it is under the air filter housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information I also was searching for it I want to install an ozone generator. I have found of them some time ago after I had read a post on Damage Control where I found out that they are awesome and including the nowadays high rate of pollution there is no better solution than the ozone generators because the standard filters are already too weak and can't handle with the harmful substances which are present in the air. I know that this kind of filter has a lot of nuances but I am sure that there are more pros than cons and I will surely enjoy them. What's your opinion do you like the ozone filters or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the information I also was searching for it I want to install an ozone generator. I have found of them some time ago after I had read a post on Damage Control where I found out that they are awesome and including the nowadays high rate of pollution there is no better solution than the ozone generators because the standard filters are already too weak and can't handle with the harmful substances which are present in the air. I know that this kind of filter has a lot of nuances but I am sure that there are more pros than cons and I will surely enjoy them. What's your opinion do you like the ozone filters or not?
Thanks for the information it's a cool product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts