Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2007 R320 CDI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 R320 CDI 4 wheel airmatic.

Question:
Do I need to do anything to clear the malfunction message and unlock the airmatic system after replacing broken parts?

Story:
I’ve just replaced a blown out airbag. I’m planning to replace the compressor/pump today if the part shows up. My car has the malfunction light with the up arrow.

After replacing these things, do I need to do anything to clear the malfunction light?

I ask because after I replaced my blown airbag the light never went away and it never really tried to do anything. I could raise the car with the airmatic controls. They were still locked out. It caused to me research and investigate more.

I found the hose from the air filter to the pump broken so the pump has been sucking in moisture. The theory is the pump has been working hard to keep a leaky bag full while also wearing out due to moisture. I’ve tested the pump and it is super weak. I’m just concerned the car will still have the system locked out after I install the new pump.

Any experience?

· Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
988 Posts
With all of these repairs, especially air bag replacement, using the STAR SDS system is almost obligatory.
The STAR Xentry will diagnose faults and reset ECU and other fault codes once the repair is successfully carried out.
If any fault is still present Xentry will alert you.
Some of us have the Chinese clone of the STAR SDS that can be bought at very good prices on eBay and similar sites, otherwise get your Mercedes dealer to check and reset the fault codes.

· Registered
2007 R320 CDI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the problem. I don’t have a scanner or a dealer nearby. What’s the work around. There’s tons of people online who’ve made these repairs without a scanner. What’s the trick?

· Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
151 Posts
I had a local BMW Indy shop clear my SRS code, after replacing a 2nd row seat’s wiring harness (2010 R350) which was connected to the airbag. I took in 2 dozen donuts and a smile when asking them to clear the SRS code. Paid a small amount too.

· Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
988 Posts
My problem is I can’t drive on the new strut without air in it. The Malfunction light seems to have the system locked out.
I see that you are a member over at BenzWorld too, and have asked about the problem there.
There are many more members on BenzWorld , so let's hope you get an answer shortly (y)

· Registered
2007 R320 CDI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I see that you are a member over at BenzWorld too, and have asked about the problem there.
There are many more members on BenzWorld , so let's hope you get an answer shortly (y)
It’s starting to feel like I’m the only person on the internet with this issue. Not any reply's on the other forums.

It just seems to work for everyone else after fixing.

· Registered
2007 R320 CDI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you replaced the pump yet?
Yes. Replaced pump last night. Same thing. Still has the malfunction light. Airmatic controls locked out.

After starting a few times and trying to see if I could get the code to reset by holding the R button on the dash while the message is displayed, I eventually got the controls to unlock. It will let me press the raise button or choose between comfort and sport. The “raising” shows up on the airmatic page but nothing happens. It’s. The pumps not running and it’s not trying to do anything. The malfunction message is still there.

· Registered
2007 R320 CDI
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’m so confused because it seems like the malfunction caution is keeping system from engaging. Like the code needs to be clears before it’ll try again. But of all the videos and explanations on these forums so many people just replace the part and start up.

Makes me wonder if there are other issues. How many issues can happen at once? Old pump had barely any out put. Air spring blew that day. So far I’ve replaced parts that needed it. So it’s also hard to imaging it needs more parts.

· Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
151 Posts
Oh - many issues can happen at once. There may be a chance what you’ve repaired failed from some other root cause. I really don’t know.
My 2010 R350 had wire issues for the right front headlamp and left tail lamp. They kept replacing headlamp assemblies until I replaced the wiring that had insulation fraying. That finally fixed the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts