Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you know, I play with a band on the weekends for fun. Never really thought of it as anything you could make a career out of, and don't really try to approach it as anything more than a theraputic good time. We play "jam band" music, sort of modern Grateful Dead, a little more upbeat. We've got two albums of original music we sell at the shows and tons more that we just haven't recorded yet. Good stuff, right? So I get a call from an agent representing a national touring jam band that has a huge following in the community. They've heard us (I have no idea how) and want to book us to co-bill a show with them at a local venue. Very exciting stuff. So a little gloating on my part, but also wondering if anyone in our vast knowledge base has any experience with these sorts of things. I know I need to contact mikemover, as he's done the tour thing for some time. I have a booking agent, but no other representation. I don't know who I need to hire for what, but it appears as if we may have some more national attention being directed our way in the near future. It's all really early on, but who knows? Thanks for listening to me ramble...

·
Registered
18 Posts
depends...

Depends on what you want to do. My brother-in-law tours internationally, but they do all their own booking and management. They have no contracts, and that gives them flexibility. It also decreases their exposure. So, if you want to blow up, you might think about a pro manager or agency or the like. If you want to 'be all about the music' maybe you can handle the duties for a while until you see where it is going.
Where do you play?

bro-in-law is 1/2 of Grand Buffet, a pittsburgh-based hip-hop duo. the redheaded rapper...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're all around the midwest. My main interest is being able to do this more often. The concern is, in doing it more often, I would eventually have to leave my career. I'm certain I would happier playing music for a living than working around cars (although I do love what I do). I don't want to make my hobby "work", if that makes sense. WE'll see in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I'd be a good "famous" person. I'd be fun for the press, as I seem to have a nack for getting into trouble, but aside from my love of fast cars and good stereos, there's really not a lot that I'd splurge on. Plus, my parents subjected me to a Catholic upbringing, so regardless of my current spiritual beliefs, I have this giant, invisible Santa Claus watching me everytime I do something wrong. I couldn't be too unkind to my fellow man. I probably wouldn't even move out of my loft.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week.

My best freind of 40 years was in a couple of bands that toured with major acts. He also does studio work. I remember him complaining about a band leader of a Vegas showband in which my friend was a member (late 1970's). My friend said the leader was also the business mgr and that the two roles were too much for one guy. I don't know the ins-and-outs but I think it was like having John Belushi be the headliner and booking agent. You end-up playing "Rawhide" in some meshed-screen dive so you can make groceries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts