Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allow me to start off this forum with a testimonial to what a great vehicle the 2003 ML350 is. I have owned a 2003 ML350 Inspiration Edition for 11 months and 23,000 miles, and it just keeps getting better!

I thoroughly researched the M-Class prior to my purchase, and was aware of the atrocious reputation the series had for build quality and reliability on the 1998-2000 models. Many owners of 2001-2002 were also very vocal in their dislike of the series and the Mercedes-Benz brand. My experience with my 1997 E320 sedan was fantastic, so last November when I looked for another vehicle to handle the transportation of my growing family and our accoutrement, I started at my Mercedes-Benz dealer. I drove three examples of the ML320 and decided not to buy one. Too sluggish and soft in the turns. Then my salesman (the same one I bought from in 1997) showed me an ML350 Inspiration Edition on the back lot, even though he couldn't sell any ML350's until December 1, 2002 (which was a Sunday). The ML350 Inspiration Edition with the ML500 wheels and tires (275/55-17's) handled much better, and the 3.7 liter motor had greater torque for much better acceleration at highway speeds. I went back on Monday, December 2, 2003 and bought it. I haven't regretted it for a minute.

One word of advice: have the dealer check your alignment before 12 months or 12,000 miles, when it's free. After 22,000 miles and a worn-out set of OEM Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetricals, I had the dealer check alignment and found that all four wheels were out of alignment in almost all planes (caster, camber, toe, thrust). No damage done during operation of vehicle, just occasional potholes and railroad tracks at low speeds, and the wheels were rotated and balanced by the dealer every 5,000 miles. With the proper alignment and new Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires, the vehicle handles wonderfully, and has a better ride and less tire noise than with the Dunlops.

I have ridden in and driven examples of nearly all of the M-Class competitors, and I think the ML350 presents itself very well with its combination of useful interior size, quality construction and bulletproof engine/transmission. My friend in his early 30's with a BMW X5 3.0 paid it his highest compliment: "I think the Mercedes is a better vehicle -- I'm just not old enough yet to drive one."

We all get older until we die.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome

Welcome sgyllenborg to BenzForum! We hope the M-Class/G-Wagen forum grows and becomes a significant part of the BenzForum online community. Sound like your ML350 is an enjoyable vehicle, feel free to share your experiences and expertise. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome to Benzforum.com. Its nice to hear these very positive comments on the ML Class. Please keep us informed. BTW, I love the quote on your website from Robert Frost, a very true statement.

Ken

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi sgyllenborg,

I'm from denmark and I can't find any usefull links regarding ML models.

I have been looking for a used ML model for some time. Do you have any advice about models I should avoid?

Thanks in advance

grimrian

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
look for an '02 or later as they are relatively trouble free. check out my epic poem on the service issues of the ml located in "issues for 98-200 ml 320's and 430's" located in this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts