Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like a great forum for actual information. I just bought a 1984 300SD Turbo and then found this forum. Some of the recent replies to other new or prospective owners have been helpful. I go all the way back to the early 70s on MB Diesels. Worked in a foreign car garage while in college and worked on numerous models there. That is why I did not hesitate to buy this one. I plan to do "almost" all maintenance and "gulp" repairs myself. Anyway, here's a look:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the list, and good luck with your new purchase! How many miles?

·
Registered
584 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
congratulations on new SD

Great looking 300 SD. From the picture, it seems that you are in a real winter climate. If so, how did the body stay in such good shape?

I recently purchased a 1982 300 SD, gray with black interior. Needs work, but the body is beautiful except for a few pings and a misaligned rear bumper molding. I couldn't resist purchasing the car because of its low milage, only 195,000 miles driven by a loving owner.

Right now, my 1980 SD by itself is keeping my mechanic in a higher tax bracket. To save money, I'll have to tackle some of the simple maintenance chores. What are the best maintenance manuals on early 1980s MB diesels? Where are they available? What are the tasks reasonably within the scope of an amateur lacking professional facilities and tools (mostly lifts and one-of-a-kind tools specially made for MB cars). Since I currently have four cars, putting a car out of commission while I leisurely work on it is not a problem. What are your experiences working on these cars?
15de11

1980 300 SD (o Coronel)
1981 300 D (Juremá)
1982 300 D Turbo (a Baronesa)
1982 300 SD (Xica)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The repair/maintenance manuals from Mercedes Benz are really good, I'm also using the manuals from mercedessource.com.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately, the diesels we worked on then were 60s/early 70s non-turbo 4cyls. -- mostly manual trannys. Never saw any major engine problems on the diesel. Just routine maintenance--filters, fluids, hoses, belts, alternators, glow-plugs, the occasional injection nozzle. Of course, valve adj. and timing chain replacement. With patience, a good manual, attention to detail, and a digital camera, all within the capabilities of the average home mechanic.

The 80s diesels are still basically the same engine design, but the vacuum systems, electrical system, etc. are all more complex.

All my brothers and I have the abilities. But, for example, my brother-n-law, very bright, well educated, a doctor and a great guitar player, could not be trusted to even change his own oil.

If you are like my brother-n-law, stick with your MB mechanic. Otherwise, go for it.

I have not gotten any shop manuals yet. I let you know what I find.

·
Registered
191 Posts
RockinWagin:

Welcome to the Benz Forum. Good looking car. I'm guessing that was an Ebay picture. Did you buy it via on-line auction? All these folks with low mileage cars! Wonder if I should find a "newer" one. Naahhh!

Crank up the questions when they arise. We'll do what we can to help.

-Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, that was an auction car. Had a friend in the area check it out before I placed the bid. I should be getting delivery on the 14th. I trust my friend as to the appearance of the car, but I am anxious to check it out mechanically myself. Hard to beat the price even if I have to put some time and $$ into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts