Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is there any one here drives 2003 C180 Kompressor on a daily basis? I'm looking for a new car to replace my 11-year old Toyota Corona 1.6 and the 2003 C180 Kompressor is my favorite for the time being. The new 1.8 liter L4 engine with supercharge encourages me with its technical data in both power and fuel-consumption way. Any one can share your daily basis experience to tell whether it's an economic and responsive ride for mixed urban/highway user like me? I drive 2-3 hrs everyday.

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

ez2fly

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should probably rephrase that question for the americans since in US the C180 is called C230 for some strange reason. (Yeah, I know the '02 were a 2.3 L engine).

·
Registered
37 Posts
ez2fly said:
Hi,

Is there any one here drives 2003 C180 Kompressor on a daily basis? I'm looking for a new car to replace my 11-year old Toyota Corona 1.6 and the 2003 C180 Kompressor is my favorite for the time being. The new 1.8 liter L4 engine with supercharge encourages me with its technical data in both power and fuel-consumption way. Any one can share your daily basis experience to tell whether it's an economic and responsive ride for mixed urban/highway user like me? I drive 2-3 hrs everyday.

Any suggestion is very much appreciated.

ez2fly
Hey, ez2fly. I have had my 2003 c230k for about 7 weeks now and I cannot get enough of it! I drive mostly around town, but have to take occasional trips on the interstate from 30 to 75 miles away. I am very comfortable and the car resembles your name. If you don't watch yourself, you find you are going 90 mph without even breathing hard! I have driven over 600,000 miles in the past 30 years and I have NEVER had a car that I was so in love with as this one. I can't tell you how comfy it will be on LONG highway trips because I haven't taken one yet with it, but for my needs so far, it has been no problem!

Hope this helps.

Tim 8)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
silverpil said:
You should probably rephrase that question for the americans since in US the C180 is called C230 for some strange reason. (Yeah, I know the '02 were a 2.3 L engine).
This is not true. The C180k and the C230k are NOT the same. There are four versions of the new 1.8 liter C271 engine. One is a direct fuel injection engine and is not sold in the US, and does not have a supercharger. The C180k, C200k and C230k are all 1.8 liter engines, but are in different states of tune. There are differences in compression ratio, boost pressure, ECU software, and possibly camshafts. I believe the C180k has 143 horsepower, the C200k has 168 hp and the C230k has 189 hp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. tsberkey's words really encourage me further. According to the regional dealer's data, the 2003 C180/C200/C230 Kompressor share the same 1.8 liter new developed engine with supercharge but with different power settings (exactly as what Lynn mentioned). To me, I think C180's performance should be good enough. I almost have made up my mind, and I'm going to try a test car this weekend.

Another question: Should I change to 16" wheel from the first beginning? Anyone has experiences for both 15" original wheel and 16" ones? Any suggestion?

·
Banned
175 Posts
In the States we have a option called C7, worth the money, that includes 17" wheels. This is the most popular and ordered option on the car. When you get done test driving, you will become a "C" member for sure.
good luck

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
ez2fly said:
Gee... I'm living in Taiwan. The standard wheel for C-class is 15" and CL-class is 16".

Lynn, are you using 17" wheels on your C230K?
Yes, I have the C7 package with the 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport max performance tires 225/45ZR 17.

In many countries, the equivalent to the C7 package is the Evolution package.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Driving experience with C230:A personal perspective

Hi ez2fly,

I have 2003 C230 Coupe(actually a hatchback), with the Tiptronic, leather, sunroof & 6-CD changer. I have scooted around 7700KMS(about 4500 miles--is that right?), since I bought it 2 1/2 months ago. I drive many short trip daily, up to 60 miles and have made two long ones, one of them nearly 2,000 miles. I love this car. It is an outstanding vehicle compared to the pricier 'grinders' on the market which are not even close in comfort, performance and, especially economy. I logged 38.8 MPG(on Canadian gallons) over one long trip. Then I discovered I could have done even better if I had switched off the airconditioner--it has "ACoff"on the 'red light on' position when it is off, but i was too silly to read the manual.
As a commuter or highway car, I can recommend this vehicle. I have driven in 30 odd countries; everything from a bus to a motor bike. As Lynn notes, the wheel sizes are 16 or 17, at least in Canada and the U.S. So i would opt for the 16 size if that is the largest you can get. Good luck.

Al
on Vancouver Island
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am new here and will be getting my C180 Kompressor with 17" AMG wheels setup 225/45 and 245/40 in 2 weeks time.
Zoid2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everybody, I am new in this forum and I am writing from Europe (Spain). I confirm what Lynn said about models here in Europe.
Although, at the States you are lucky, because you don´t have to spend two weeks thinking in which is your fuel option diesel or unleaded.

Anyway, I´ve just ordered a C180 Kompressor and the dealer gave me ¡¡¡ three months delivery !!! ¿Is it normal in your area?

Another question:
¿What do you know about the new 2004 facelift for C series?
Will it deserve to wait?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Zoid2 and aradinja.

Congratulations on your new car, Zoid2. How about posting some pictures when it arrives?

aradinja, for an ordered car the wait can be highly varible. If a car of the proper specification can be located "on the boat" or at the VPC or in another dealers allocation, the wait can be as short as a few days. If the ordered car is a C320 Sport Coupe with a six speed transmission, at least on person in the US waited six months for his car. The usual wait is 60 to 90 days. My car arrived 75 days after it was ordered.

Apparently there will be no facelift for 2004. I have heard of a new instrument cluster which may or may not coincide with the US model year and that in the US two existing colors will be replaced. Other countries get paint and interior colors and combinations that are not available in the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lynn,

Thanks for your quick response. Here in my country, it is not a great forum like yours and I was so excited when I found this.

About the facelift, I CAN NOT WAIT ANY MORE for that wonderful car, so I will definitevely ordered it TODAY !!

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi guys, i'm new here too :)

just bought myself the c180 kompressor with the evolution option, which includes the 17" 7 spoke allowys, soprt suspensions, stain less steel pedals, sport seats etc etc.

I went to the dealer (in gibraltar where i am from) and they estimated it would take 3 months to arrive..but when i went last week they already had it!!..only problem is the car they brought over does not have leather seats which is what i wanted..but i really cant wait 3 months just cause of the seats!...so i went ahead and bought it :)

should have it in my hands by mid next week now :) (just waiting for bank to sort out money etc)..i cant wait!!! i've never fallen so much inlove with a car before!!

i will post pics as soon as i get it :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, Glad to say that I just joined the forum too and really enjoy everyones excitement and passion for such a great car. Unfortunatley, I have had my benz for five months now and am quite convinced that this will be my first of several Mercedes that I plan to own throughout my life. I was lucky enough to get one of the first C230 Sports Sedan with a six speed in the US. (Or, at least that's what the sales person told me, and yes, I had a three month wait; but it was well worth it.)

I really would like to make the car much faster, but after talking with some people at EvoWorks, they told me that the engine is pretty maxed out and potential aftermarket parts could destroy the engine. (I tend to believe them since they are extremely well versed in Mercedes applications. But I was wondering if anyone else had luck with increasing the car's potential?)

So far, I have installed an H & R cup kit on the car and a set of 19" Zenetti's, but I still have a HUGE wheel well gap in the front. Is anyone experiencing a similar problem? I'm pretty sure the car is settled and was told by H & R that the perfomance of the spring is the main concern with cosmetics being second? I'm pretty upset by it, but unfortunatly, the only solution is to cut coils, and I'm not a big fan of that. Any Suggestions? Thanks, Good Luck, and take care!!
Joey[/b]

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi aradinja,

yeah mercedes in gibraltar told me they could send the car to a place in spain where they would remove the orignal seats and replace them with leather seats..but to be honest i was a little concerned about that so i said no as its not mercedes who do it..but a company 'recognised' by mercedes.

So what i am going to do is wait a year or so..once i get fed up of the normal seats i'll send the car back to get the seats replaced by leather seats, and it will just cost me around £800.

But to be honest i aint too bothered about the seats..its the car im dieing to drive! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts