Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original alloy 14" rims that came with my 1983 300sd. My tires are limited to 195/70/14H. Since my tires are down to 4/32" tread I am thinking if this would be a good time to change rim size as well. I was thinking 225/60/15H. I do not know if the difference is worth it and if I would have to look for 15" MB rims to fit the bolts. The car drives fine but the filment for tires is getting harder every 10 years. Anyone make this change to their 126 and was it worth it?

·
Registered
191 Posts
skydivetoday:

I have never had any difficulty sourcing tires for my SD. Mine were last replaced in March 2003. I have always used Michelins. Currently running my second set of X-One®'s. The first set ran about 66,500 miles.

I refinished my "Bundt Cake" rims last year as I was getting new tires. You can see a photojournal at:

http://web.infoave.net/~ontheriver/automobiles/wheels.htm

If you decide to change wheels and end up changing the overall diameter, the result is a change in drive/speed ratio and speedo error.

-Scott

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott, your are right!

Scott, your are :roll: right:

I have replaced my Michelins about every 60,000 mile and never had a problem. I get free rotation and balance every 10,000 miles at 8) Sams while I shop. I may change them a little faster then needed but I come from the intertube times when we all could change a flat on a road trip, in a suit.

I have always been :D happy at how the 1983 300sd drives. The need for other size wheels and tires is more of the grass looking greener thing.

The refinishing of my "Bundt Cake" rims is past my level or ability ( I change oil and filters). However, I will have it in for week of paint and body work and ask the owner ( SEL driver) if he can refinish the rims.

Thanks for the reality check,
Skydivetoday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts