Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 300E that I just bought. The wood around the A/C controls is cloudy looking. It seems simple enough to get it off. Is there a reasonable place to find replacement wood or can I repair the one i have? No cracks at all in the wood. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had same look on my wooddash

I had the same cloudy look. So, I sanded it down and re-sha-laquered it. Looks good, but it was a lot of work. plus I found out that there is not much wood there at all. Sanded down to another layer, so now I have a "unique" look to my wood. But I'm still happy. I would say try redoing it yourself, the worst that can happen it that you have to buy a replacement.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Macondawg said:
I have a 1990 300E that I just bought. The wood around the A/C controls is cloudy looking. It seems simple enough to get it off. Is there a reasonable place to find replacement wood or can I repair the one i have? No cracks at all in the wood. Thanks.
First try Pledge or any furniture polish, buff it out and see if that makes it shine.

For refinishing, MADERA CONCEPT in Goleta, CA. (just outside of Santa Barbara) is the place. I don't know of any other wood specialty shop. They do a great job. You send them your wood and they will refinish it while maintaining the original color/look of your wood.

All of the wood changes color slightly with exposure to the sun and elements. The problem that you run into with junkyard parts and (even worse) a new piece of wood is that the color is all wrong.

Madera Concept...great place, if you are ever in the Santa Barbara area, go by the shop and the owner (family business for many years) will show you around the shop, it is like an assembly line, all hand done, lots of labor and very reasonable for the job.

To replace the wood....ask others, but on my car, pull out the ashtray, you will see two screws where the ashtray came out, I prefer to use a magnetic screwsdriver for this part, then look "under" the wood piece (where the AC controls are), see two more screws, take those out and then the wood just slides out...piece of cake. GL w/it'

"Madera" is Spanish for "wood." 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts