Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about mechanic .. I broke a hose olfrom the back of the engine on my 2001 e430 . It's connected to what ever the big silver thing is by the driver side with 2 clamps on it ... I know not that great of description .... Of anybody have a idea what I did please let me know ....those are pics of the house that snapped on me ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you referring to the line with the yellowish grommet against the round silver thing?

If so that is the vacuum supply to the brake booster. That will need to be replaced (not hard or expensive) before that car moves an inch. Remove it, go to the parts store and duplicate it. Grommet can be reused as well as the in line check valve/filter (but since you are there mind as well replace)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll add to what Dane said, which to be clear didn't hurt anything but the hose. The real risk is your power brakes won't work, which is no doubt why Dane said not to to drive it because without vacuum, which is what the hose supplies to the brake booster, the brakes are much harder to operate and may even fight you to some degree. So stopping, especially in a panic stop, you'll no doubt travel much further before stopping. I can remember leg pressing one cars brakes with both feet, so easily >500lbs, and still couldn't stop half as well as it did when the booster worked. That was an extreme case but it happened. Also, depending on how it gets its vacuum, could cause the idle to go way up which would be unpleasant and embarrassing. And if the idle is up it means it'll be even more difficult to brake because the car is fighting you. Or it could all be no big deal and you can brake fairly easily with one foot. They can also be deceiving because the booster will usually hold a vacuum while the car is off so the brakes may feel fine the first or second time, then it gets worse real quick and have an o sh!t moment.
If you're experienced and prepared for such an event, like me, then fine, but sounds like you are not so I suppose your best option is don't risk it ;) If it were me I'd just wrap the break up with duct or electrical tape so it doesn't leak and order a new hose, but since you're not much of a mechanic I suppose that would be risky too?
I don't know how you broke it, nor can I see where the break is, but if it broke due to age then I suppose I would poke around the engine looking for other brittle hoses. For example I think the EGR valve has a plastic hose with a short rubber section on the valve and if I remember correctly the short rubber one cracks, leaks, and then gives a check eng light.
Of course the radiator hoses and drive belt are very important to keep an eye on. My first MB was one I found for cheap because the rad hose split due to age and the woman just kept driving it, I assume until it stopped running but all I know is the head was warped. A broken belt can be just as bad and often with either you won't know it until the eng light comes on, assuming it does come on... So it's very much worth it to be sure those rubber items are good because one minute without them can be mean a repair bill bigger than the car is worth, which basically means you killed the car. I know it's no fun to replace these parts, or check them, but ya gotta do it or pay someone to do it. With a car that old the rad hoses and belt have no doubt been changed already, maybe a few times, but do you really know when it was done last?
Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts