Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to turn 21 years old in a few months, and I am thinking about getting myself a new c230k sports sedan as a little b-day present. As far as payinf for it, i'll use the $10-12k from the car I am selling now (honda civic), then another $6k from a 50k inheritance (leaves me with 44k), and then use $3k from my part time job savings. I wanna put about $20k then finance the rest.

Before I started looking at the benz, I was considering the Dodge SRT-4 Neon (19k), and then the 2003 VW 20th anniversary Gti (will be about $26k OTD). Then I started looking at the '03 C230k Sports Sedan and I fell in love. The SRT-4 would be fun, but its a dodge, and the resale value is gonna suck!! The VW looks like a great car, but why spend 26k on a VW, when for a few more thousand I can have a far superior machine. Plus it will probably sell a lot better in 3-5 years (or so I hope). Anyone else here initially start looking at cheaper/economy cars, then finally just decided to go all out and get a benz?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lynn said:
I, too, started out looking at much cheaper cars. If you think the C230 is going to have good resale value, you are sadly mistaken.
Well...how much depreciation do you expect?? I wasnt expecting anywhere near $30k....maybe low 20's in a few years??

·
Banned
175 Posts
Check out the C320 Coupe. I bought the coupe to enjoy driving and will not worry about resale, today maybe low and next ytear high. Get the car you feel good in and enjoy driving, life is short enjoy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Jonny Quest said:
Lynn said:
I, too, started out looking at much cheaper cars. If you think the C230 is going to have good resale value, you are sadly mistaken.
Well...how much depreciation do you expect?? I wasnt expecting anywhere near $30k....maybe low 20's in a few years??

Depending on equipment and market 2002's are selling for $19,000 to $21,000. The average car depreciates 27% in the first week after delivery. The coupe is almost dead on the average. The curve may flatten after 2 or 3 years, but that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the same day I got my coupe, I was thinking that afternoon if I should get a car around USD5,000 only, FOR REAL,because I'm an international student and I didn't want to get something too costly. Later on, my brother in law came home and he said,'Hey,I heard they got a great deal at the Mercedes Benz dealer!,lets take a look." Alright,so we went there together and we talked about the price which they took USD4000 off the MSRP, and that's how i got my coupe.

·
Registered
89 Posts
An old man once told me.....

I was in my 30's when I got my first Benz (240D). When I drove up and parked in my drive way my neighbor came over and congratulated me and added, "it's a rich man's car you know?". I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I only paid $2,500 for it. Then came the first oil change. I couldn't believe what the oil filter cost. That was only the beginning :cry: I soon figured out what my neighbor was talking about.
So why did I go get the C230 coupe? When I had to give up my 240d I said right then, "one day....I'll be back in a Benz. It's funny, I think that 240 was easier to drive then my 230. You may not have the resale value on the cheapie cars but you won't have the repair expense either.
You may not have to repair your 230 as often but what if you do?
My sister got the C230 sedan a few days before I got mine and she is having lots of problems. Good thing it's under warranty but what about when the warranty runs out? I'd say go get a good use car for next to nothing or one of those cars under $10 grand and put the rest towards your future (education, savings and the like).
Good luck bro 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I considered, but never looked at other cars. In the final analysis, I guess I just really wanted a Benz, so I bought the C-Coupe. I figured a Benz would be comfortable for my long commute, have good resale and good service. Mine is so uncomfortable (for me) that I really don't want to drive it. My first and only service experience was terrible. Assuming Lynn's correct, resale isn't great. Now I wish I'd given the others a harder look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Former Hyundai owner!

My wife and I went from a 2000 Tiburon to a C230 coupe! We considered the newly designed Tiburon, but the back seat is now unusable. I was a VW owner, and love the solid German build. My wife saw a C230 coupe on the freeway one day during her commute and fell in love. Unfortunately, that was a short affair (8 months) since she got pregnant probably the same week we bought the car! Coincidence?? 8) We recently traded the coupe for a C230 Sport sedan, same engine, 17" wheels, only real difference is the two extra doors and the 5 speed automatic. By the way, I didn't think it was possible, but I LOVE the sedan as much as the coupe! :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Is it a good choice

All I can tell you folks is that i still have my 1986 300E(only 75K miles) and I just passed it on to my son who loves MBs. I also just drove my new 2003 C230 to Edmonton and back to Vancouver, via the mountains and by-ways. Seems to me that the new car did a pretty good job of proving itself compared to the big, tough 300E I have driven over the same route. And it was more fun and cheaper to drive too. Go figure.

Al :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
entry level luxury cars like the C class doesn't have very good resale value but you are right... it is going to be much better than the Dodge SRT-4 (which is hediously ugly especially in yellow!).

I think you should expand your option and look at other cars in this bracket: Audi A4, 1.8T, BMW 325i, Lexus IS300 (or not... bad car), Infinity G35, Volvo S60, Jaguar X-Type 2.5, Saab 9-3, as well as the C230K. You will realize that all of them cost about the same and not that much more than an midsize generic brands (Honduh, Toyoduh, Duhge etc.).

If you like the SRT-4, I think you would feel much more at home with a A4 or 325i then the C230K. They are much more fun to drive then the Benz.

·
Banned
175 Posts
It depends on how you define "much more fun to drive". I do auto-x in my Coupe and have a blast. Have driven the cars you have and it all depends on what you feel good in. You will not find many drivers that can get true handling and sport driving out of their car. See you at the race track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think this is very interesting thread because this is what happened to me, sort of. I was waiting and waiting for a Toyota Matrix to come in that I had ordered and after the third month late I cancelled and decided to get the car I really wanted anyway which is the C230 coupe (2003). I haven't looked back, the car has greatly exceeded my expectations. As far as depreciation and cost of ownership it is not that relevant. First, I leased it for three years because they had such a good deal on the lease. (3.9%) The car has a four year warranty so who cares about service cost?

At the end of the lease, if the car stays reliable, I will surely buy it out, or I may go to some other MB model. This coupe is far and away the best car I have ever owned and this is about car number 12 for me so far...

:roll: :D :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I honestly think you might do well with a used Passat. They're great cars and you can probably get one loaded for under $20k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
resale, reshmale. lease a coupe, then give it back after 3 or 4 years. if you're doing well at whatever it is you do, you won't want the car after that anyway, and you won't have to worry about running out of warranty. at that point, your question about cheap cars will be moot, assuming your career is on the right track...

...at least that was my thought process.

·
Registered
31 Posts
interesting thread! i'm new to this board, and i'm actually car-shopping myself. im 25 and im a graduate student, so i'm saving for downpayment and planning to finance some.

first, i figured i'd get a car for around 20-25 grand, so i began with DUHge's, pontiYUCK's, ford's, etc. Some were better than others, but the interior quality was horrible and you could get manual tranny only in pony cars like firebird, camaro, and mustrang, pretty much.

i never considered euro cars because i knew that they and my wallet couldnt possibly co-exist, until a day when my mom insisted that we visit an MB dealership. I drove the C230 couple with 6-speed manual, and I was absolutely blown out of the water! I still think that this car has one of the best clutches and tranny's on the near-luxury market.

there are very few forces in the world strong enough to get you into an american car after driving a Benz, so naturally i expanded my vision to euro brands and near-luxury cars in general. i found that if you go for the near-luxury class of cars, you get incredibly more for your buck! you are spending 20-23K every which way to get a decent car, so why not save a little more to get a LOT more!

On the near-luxury end I drove BMW 3-series, Audi A4 1.8T, Acura TSX, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti I35, Saab 9-3 (linear, arc, and vector), and Volvo S60 (base). All these cars in manual tranny with the exception of Infiniti. Aside from the Benz, the Swedes captured my attention for the most part.

BMW has too much grunt and can be seen at every stoplight. Audi A4 1.8T is a bit weak and has problems. Acura TSX has to be revved up like crazy to get ANY sort of pull. Caddy CTS is a very nicely driving and handling car, but it's a bulky box, its interior really sucks, and it's got serious assembly defects which still need to be worked out. Infiniti I35 is a flat-out boring car (I hate the design of the new G35).

Then there's Saab 9-3 and Volvo S60. Those were the only cars since the Benz that put a big grin on my face when I drove them. Certainly Saab is leaps and bounds more exciting than Volvo, but Volvo surprised me with its engine and general feel. I'm fond of Saab 9-3, but I won't buy it until they work out computer bugs and some build quality issues. Volvo for me could be as far up the list as the Benz.

I doubt I would BUY the coupe. It's loads of fun to drive, but I need a sedan and they sure did cut that car too short. heh. C230 and C240 are ok, but then you have to add lots of packages on to them to bring them to par on the features to other cars of this class. However, C320 seems like an excellent value to me! If I will decide on a C320, I'll certainly have to wait longer and save some more, but it might just be worth it.

Yes, I'm a car-shopping veteran. heh. Hopefully this was helpful to some of you.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Sounds like you did your home work. I have the C320 Coupe and the Volvo S60 2.4T, and they both have their mission at my place. One for family and the other for me to play. Kids are gone so I have more options. Ha.
Good Luck with your choice, you can not go wrong with your top two picks.
Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts