Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone younger people not want the attention of a benz?

8K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Benzbaby 
#1 ·
Im 20 years old....(21 when i get the c230 sedan), and I am defintely not buying the car for attention or status purposes. Infact, that almost seems like a drawback. I am kind of a low key guy, so I dont want people looking at me like I am spoiled or snobby. I just love cars, I always have my eye on new models, and I love reading about them. Anyone else love the car, but werent really excited about the attention that normally comes with a mercedes?

#3 ·
I understand what you mean. I'm 18 and I drive a Black 2002 C320 loaded with options and everytime I drive I get weird reactions from older adults all the time. I kinda hate that hate because alot of people assume that I'm a jackass or spoiled, in addition I get alot of attention that I don't really want. But having the experience of driving a nice car is great.

Paully8402

#5 ·
My wife and I are in our mid-30's and we get reactions like that too!! Our friends are all driving SUVs and minivans (mostly SUVs) and here we are, cruising in our C230. Oh, they think we spent way more than we did, when actually our Benz cost less than most SUVs! And, I know that they spend tons more money on gas then we do, even though we're filling up with premium. Yeah, you guessed, I'm anti-SUV. I see them as huge rolling traffic obstacles. Gotta love the sport suspension, helping us manuever around these giant metal boxes. :wink:

#6 ·
yeah you get a lot of mixed reactions when your 18 and driving a benz. I like it because its a great enjoyable car, not because of the snob appeal. It represents am outstanding value for the money. What more could you ask for?

#7 ·
i think its great that MB is going to a younger buyer. As a BMW owner, i have seen well over the majority of MB owners buy their cars as status symbols, etc... thus leading to the huge steriotype. I'd say keep with it and you can change the symbol of the car...

However... don't hate me but my real opinion is for you to try driving a bimmer. if you bought the MB for driving pleasure, than i know you won't be upset by BMW. Even if it isn't the quickest or statistically best handling, BMW is engineering around the driver, doing just that and giving you a feeling like no other. I've driven many MB and they are more of a riders car, plush and luxurious, but definately not for me. I love to drive.

Enjoy the roads,
-Pat

#8 ·
Hey Big Country, what's a Bimmer owner doing writing on a Benz forum website?? JK, I agree, the Benz, even the Baby Benz is more of a cruiser than the BMW. But if we all wanted the same thing from a car, what choices would we have? My sister-in-law has a 330i, so I've driven the BMW. It is a solid driver's car, but it also has a smaller, less comfortable rear seat and feels much narrower to me. It is exhilarating to drive, and certainly has a place on the road. For a daily driver, we chose the C-Class. For the luxury, safety, comfort, and performance. Compared with most Japanese sedans, it out-performs them easily and is much more solid. I don't take kindly to BMW drivers acting superior to MB drivers. :wink: Too many BMW drivers are poseurs, especially in SoCal, where the 3 series is probably the most popular (and most seen) car on the road. :roll:

#9 ·
Hey BabybenzSoCal,

well sorry if i seemed like an uptight bimmer owner, i hope i'm not. What i was trying to say is that i love my car, but i was wrong trying to push it on you all. i was saying i personally prefer the BMW, but have huge respect for both cars. every person wants something different in their car, which is great.

Truthfully, i decided to come over to the benz forum to have a look around, cause you never know... the direction Chris Bangle is taking BMW design makes the merc more attractive by the minute. :?

by the way, i totally agree with you about SUV's. you've gotta laugh as you fly the small person in a huge SUV driving in the left lane...

enjoy the ride,
-Pat

#10 ·
I so agree with you, regarding Chris Bangle's attempt to put a new face on BMW!! The first sign to me was the Z4, far too angular for my taste. I prefer the Z3's design, although from the rear of the door to the rear bumper needed improvement. I so despise the new 7 series, the rear end looks so similar to the Chrysler Cirrus, but not as fluid, as if they quickly finished the design. The eyebrow turn signals are horrible, memories of the old Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave. Hey, maybe that's where Chris draws inspiration, from old Chrysler models!! Perhaps he'll add the Waterfall grill from the old Airflow to his 5 Series redesign... :p
In the Valencia area where I live, the funniest trend is happening. Petite, blonde soccer moms are driving Hummer H2s, like so many overgrown mini-vans. Don't they get it? Anything they drive is a mommy mobile, it may as well be something remotely fun to drive and a bit more environmentally responsible. I love being able to drive from L.A. to SF on little more than a tank of fuel. :D

#12 ·
I'm 26 and people laughed like heck when I said I was getting a Mercedes (previously drove a Pontiac Grand Am). It wasn't the reaction I was expecting. But it was a "good for you" laugh. :? I have gotten some funny looks and a few people are treating me differently now at work and have to mention how they can't afford a car like that every time they see me. Oh well. Their problem - not mine! :D

#13 ·
Aurea11 said:
I'm 26 and people laughed like heck when I said I was getting a Mercedes (previously drove a Pontiac Grand Am). It wasn't the reaction I was expecting. But it was a "good for you" laugh. :? I have gotten some funny looks and a few people are treating me differently now at work and have to mention how they can't afford a car like that every time they see me. Oh well. Their problem - not mine! :D
I completely agree with you. I'm getting the same kind of reactions form people at work. They havve no idea how affordable this car really is. I tried to spend less, but when you look at what you're getting for the money, it's a good buy. Everyone's just jealous :lol:

#14 ·
Yeah

Im 17 and i drive a 1996 C36 AMG, People give me bad looks when i telll them my car and then when i tell them AMg they really get weird. BUt really my car is worth as much as any teenagers Honda Civic Si i just like german cars for there styling and originality

#16 ·
Hey Big Country!

Have you seen the latest Chris Bangle design? The new 5 series? It's featured in AutoWeek this week. I have to tell you, he is destroying the look of BMW. The only redeeming quality is the Z3 resemblence with the way the grill blends into the hood. Get this, the grill is now attached to the bumper, not the hood, so there's a line destroying the continuity between the grill and hood. Also, the tail lamps, when viewed from the rear side, look like they were inspired by the Kia Rio! Multiple lines slashing the overall design, huge, chunky butt, and whatever areas of the design not cluttered with lines (not character lines, but lines between bumper and body, trunk lid and quarter panel, etc) are like a blank canvas. The doors especially lack any shape or character. God help BMW. Performance alone may sell cars in Europe, but Americans are very image & style conscience.

#17 ·
It desn't matter how old you are you still get that kind of reactions (I'm 40). I recently bought a C230 coupe. My colleagues, friends and family make little comments of me buying a MB. The worse was when my Manager found out that I bought a MB and he made a comment that 'How he worked all his life and still don't have one.' I try not to let it get to me. I worked hard for the car and I'm going to enjoy it. :D

#18 ·
BMW versus MB

Interesting dialogue from knowledgeable people. I am obviously an anomoly: 60 plus, which makes me about 3 times the age of a large number of 230 owners. I have done stock, carts, rally etc, over some 44 years of accident free driving in over 30 different countries. But, when I tested a 2003 BMW 320I against a 2003 C230 coupe, both with stick shift and otherwise basically stock, I chose the 230.Why? The 230 engine is smoother, quieter, more economical, healthier in the mountains with the supercharger, a bit faster from 0-60, with less fuss. It has better, higher quality cabin ergonomics and my butt feels happier over the bumpies. The suspension is likely more robust(skip the aluminum suspension bits). Both are very good handling autos at about the same price, Canadian prices that is. A bonus is really the ESP for example, which is not for 'draggers' but is good for many who dont understand the limits of suspension systems on slippery roads!!

As they say at the carnivals": you puts your money down and you takes your choices". Its always a personal choice! Hi to everyone.

Al
on Vancouver Island

PS: my first real car was a used Porsche 356!
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.