Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Mercedesshop members, we seem to be going from forum to forum. I think we also might be surprissing some of the locals. Now that benzworld seems to be getting active, maybe we should stick over their? I would rather stay here this site is faster.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Think of it as invading a new continent - no indigenous populationa here to piss off (at least in Off Topic). This seems as good a place as any, and the slowness of BW is really irritating.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Less shrill politics here. I like it. I think I'll use them both for a while and see if those other children over there learn some manners or grow-up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll probably use both, assuming the topic isn't recycled. Like most threads at the other new site. Frankly I'm sick of politics: It's on the net, on the radio, on TV, in class, at work. STOP! Can't wait until the dang election is over and we're back to business as usual. If Kerry wins, my life won't change, so?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hello, and welcome! Hatterasguy, I see you have already visited the diesel forum, and it is nice to have your input. Please tell your friends to come visit!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to BenzForum

On behalf of the Management of BenzForum, let me say welcome to all our new members. We like to think that we offer the best forum on the net for the Mercedes-Benz enthusiast. Welcome to the BenzForum community! 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cracker928 said:
Hello, and welcome! Hatterasguy, I see you have already visited the diesel forum, and it is nice to have your input. Please tell your friends to come visit!
Whats your handle on the shop? You sound very familer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
cracker928 said:
How can you be a cracker and be from Kahlifoahnia?

·
Registered
77 Posts
In the Doctor's poll a couple of weeks before closing, and in some of the suggestions since, there's been discussion of splitting OD into a political section and an "Other Open Discussion" section. Looking at the threads here and on BW, that seems to have happened via largely overlapping membership on different web sites (some politics here, but fairly mild). It's nice. We'll see how long it lasts (10, 9, 8...)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Honestly, I like that there is a CIVILIZED discussion of political VIEWPOINTS here. Mind you, I have a vested interest in this forum, so take it with as many grains of salt as you will. I will be the first person to encourage political DISCUSSION, not slanderous namecalling based on a qualitative assesment of some one's "values". I could not be happier with the the "vibe" of the OT right now. If you want to fight endlessly and name-call, you know where to go...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm cracker928 in most other car forums. I'm a cracker cuz I was born and raised in Florida. I was displaced to Califunny for a cool job at Edwards AFB.

·
Registered
77 Posts
cracker928 said:
I'm cracker928 in most other car forums. I'm a cracker cuz I was born and raised in Florida. I was displaced to Califunny for a cool job at Edwards AFB.
Who are you with at Edwards, USAF or a contractor? I went up there a bit in a previous life.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm with a defense contractor.

I guess I've missed alot of whatever is going on at the other forum, but it is nice to get some new blood in here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
cracker928 said:
I spent a couple of years doing change orders on the B-1B flight test program with Rockwell (pre-Boeing) between college and grad school. I was in El Segundo, but we got to go up for the day every few months as a perk; the guys on site would take us out to watch flights, etc. Most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life was sitting directly under a high speed transsonic flyby by the B-1 followed at the same speed by the F-111 chase plane, maybe 60 feet above our heads. Damn...

·
Registered
183 Posts
PC Dave said:
cracker928 said:
I spent a couple of years doing change orders on the B-1B flight test program with Rockwell (pre-Boeing) between college and grad school. I was in El Segundo, but we got to go up for the day every few months as a perk; the guys on site would take us out to watch flights, etc. Most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life was sitting directly under a high speed transsonic flyby by the B-1 followed at the same speed by the F-111 chase plane, maybe 60 feet above our heads. Damn...
Wow! Was it hard on the ears and/or body?? I had a similar experience. In what was the first crash landing by a 747, which involved the 2nd 747 to ever hit the skies, the pilot under shot the runway by not quite a foot. I was standing a little less than 15' from where the wheel hit the dirt, and was almost directly under the inboard engine. Thought I was gonna get smushed for a few seconds, but the jet didn't crumple on impact. The entire rear landing assembly broke off, causing the right side wing to go way up, then way down. The inboard engine hit the runway and blew off the engine's cowling along with a bunch of other wing and engine bits. And while this was happening the detached landing gear was doing summer saults just behind the plane. Even with this, the jet came to a stop in between half and ¾ of a mile. The noise from the engines were amazing. Louder than anything I’ve ever heard.

Meanwhile, about 5 seconds after the landing gear hit, and while the jet was dropping off parts, 2 chaser jets screamed by just a little higher than the 747’s tail. I almost jumped out of my skin because I’d turned my back to watch this monster plane fumbling on the ground.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts