Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1976 300d. The engine fires right up without a problem. The odometer reads 31000 miles but I think it has rolled over once maybe twice because the car is in pretty good condition. When I tried to put the transmission into gear nothing happened. I tried every gear and pressed the accelerator nothing happened other that the engine revving. I checked the transmission fluid it seemed like it had the right amount of fluid in it. The man I bought it from said that he bought it two years ago drove it home about 50 miles the transmission shifted fine then the next day wouldn't go into gear and parked it. Been sitting since with the occasional cranking up to keep the engine in good shape. I find it hard to believe that the entire transmission failed completely. Could someone give me an idea on what I've gotten myself into?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
I'm new to the forum and was a volvo tech for 20 years, I don't know much about MB's but.....
Did you check to see if the trany linkage fell off or is adj ok, also I would guess like a volvo it would have a trany cooler. If you take a cooler line off and start the car it should pump out a LOT of trans fluid. Put a drain pan under the line just in case!!!!!
If you do not get any or a lot of fluid it may have a clogged trans pan filter. or bad trans pump.
hope any of this helps!!!
pete k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. This is my first MB as well as my first diesel. I haven't had a chance to work on the car but, when I do I'll be sure to post what the problem was.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts