Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next door neighbor has lost her manual and asked me to find ATF the fill spout for her 86 300E. I didn't see one.

I did check the fluid level and I think it is within spec anyway. The car was warm and the fluid came up just past the top mark on the dipstick.

She was about to dump a whole quart of regular DM III in there. Is that what this car calls for?

Thanks

·
Registered
453 Posts
It sounds like the car does not need any fluid added if the level was above the top mark on the dipstick. It can be difficult to read the level on the dipstick at times. With the car on level ground and the motor running, check both sides of the stick. I have found it can appear at different levels on both sides of the stick. It should be between the top and bottom mark when the engine/transmission are up to temperature. Do not overfill the transmission. You add fluid down the dipstick tube. You may have to find a small funnel since the dipstick tube is smaller than the normal ATF funnels you might find in a store. Any good quality DexIII ATF fluid should be fine or you can purchase the fluid recommended specifically for Mercedes automobiles on our parts catalog at the link below.

ATF Fluid

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I appreciate the reply. The level was about a 1/2 inch above the top mark.

I have only had one automatic car and you had to pour the fluid down the dipstick tube on that car as well. I will get her to put the car on level ground and check the level while the car is running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts