Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I recently purchased a '85 300D and found that it had a very loose and banging shifter. The person I bought the car from said it was the shifter bushings and so I went ahead and bought them. Installing them seemed like it was going to be a real problem, especially for the one at the transmission. Actually, although it took me several hours to figure it all out I did get them installed. Following is the procedure I used. Having a long nose plier, and I do mean the looooong nose ones with the angled head that are about 11" in total length, I heated the bushing in hot water and then used the pliers to squeeze the bushing in place. Heating is the solution to the problem of getting the shoulders of the bushing through the hole and seating on the other side properly. Trying to just squeeze the bushing through without heating is NOT going to work. The shifter on the transmission was mushroomed on both sides and needed to be flattened or the shoulders of the bushing would not seat and would most likely fall out. Using my Dremel tool with the flex extension and a small grinding stone I was easily able to flatten the surfaces to accept the bushing. Here is where it is most important to have the looooong angle head needle nose pliers. I used the professional ones from Craftsmen. These pliers make it possible to set and squeeze the heated bushing into the hole and properly seat the bushing. Watch that the shifter on the transmission is not bent. I think that when the bushings come out that it causes the shifter arm to bet bent. You will know it is correct when you reinstall the shift connecting rod. The rod will be perpendicular to the shifter arm and there will be no noticed angle at the bushing. Hope this helps someone. More to come. -ED

Just a note to all in this site. Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts