Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I own a 83' 300 TurboDiesel, with soon to have 300k. I was pondering a transmission rebuild, unfortunately taking it to a shop would be a waste of money and out of the question. So, have any of you undertaken this increadible task, is there a wesite to a repair manual, i have looked around can't really find anything.

thank for any imput

cheers

George.

ps: sorry if this is one of those questions that always gets asked, i did a search on this forum but came out empty

·
Registered
28 Posts
IMO, as a mechanic, I would rebuild it myself. It's not as hard as you may think. It's more time consuming than anything. As long as you keep your parts in order as they came out, you shouldn't have a problem with a shop manual handy in case you get lost. But, if keeping things organized isn't you strong suit, I would look into a rebuilt one and put it in myself. As far as shop manuals available free online, that will never happen as long as people want to make money off of selling them. They do have manuals for sale online at manualsunlimited.com for about $25. Good luck either way you decide to do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,

you give me the confidence to give it a shot, I'm going to start looking for factory repair manuals, i guess the one i need is 775 or something like that.

also i dont know if i even need to rebuild it, as my main issues are how it jerks during shift changes, and how the shifter is not as stiff as before ( that is that when i change gears i need to hit it a beat to get in gear)

George

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about manual trannys. Is there any hope that I could find one in the states, greymarket? Or would I end up paying some rediculous amount of shipping to get one and all the pedals/pieces from Europe?

-brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you looking for just a manual tranny, or are you looking into changing an automatic car, into a manual. If so i think they sell kits for that, but im not too sure.

cheers

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts