Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I own a E Class e200 . When I just start the engine and try to shift the gear to either reverse or to drive, the first move is very hard. Is this a normal feature that the stick is slightly difficult to move during the start because the tranny fluid is cold and hasn't yet circulated or does it mean that there is some problem.

Secondly, when you are at a red light and it is going to take one or two minutes for it to change to green, is it advisable to shift the gear from drive to neutral ( so as to optimise on the brakes and the brake pads) or is it better to be in drive mode itself. I normally shift to neutral to optimise on the usuage on the brake pads but does this habit have any long term effect on the transmission.

I would be grateful if boarders would post their views.

KRK

2000 Model E 200

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Shifting will often be a little harder after a cold start. I can't say for certain that nothing is wrong without feeling it myself, but it seems like normal operation of the unit.

Brake pads are cheap. You're really not doing any damage leaving it in D. You are also getting worse fuel economy by shifting into N.

On the 300E, you have a cold start upshift delay that will let the engine rev a little higher for the first few minutes of operation to warm up the catalyst quicker. It will often hit second pretty hard during this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Auto gear

Hi everyone

This is my first posting...Please pardon me if i am wrong...

Stiffness in shifting gears is a mechanical problem which I used to have this problem with my VW and later i found out ...it is beginning of something going to happen to the gear box...so better go a check before it is too late.

it is always good to do the following: -

1. change autofluid every 60,000km
2. when at traffic, stick to "D"...as constant shifting of gear to D to N and back is disastrous
3. when reversing or forwarding the car...make sure u are completely STOP before shifting ur gear
4. drive sensibly without over ram the gear...Hey it is the heart of the gear that gets it moving so take good care

COS it is going to cost you DEARLY...and I am mean it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts