Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a quote for $1149 for the kleeman alloy pulley.

i'm guessing $899 + $250 for labor... is this good??

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm guessing that in NYC labor is over $100/hr, so tht would be less than 2.5 hours. I think that is probably a fair price. Is that price from AI design? I hear good things about them.

Wyatt Earp had his Kleemann ring pulley installed there. $250 is less than they charged to put on the ring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Kleeman kit was $799 from Evosport and it cost $140 to have it installed. This was the good one with billet pulleys not the one with adapters. Make sure you get the good one. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actually the quote is from AI...

thanks for the info lynn and freds....

the price is for the alloy pulley.... is the alloy pulley still "on sale" (b/c most sell it for $899) at evosport??

maybe i'll get this shop i know and trust to do the work, eventhough i hear good things about AI Design

·
Registered
22 Posts
yeah, that was the price they quoted for me too (or very close to it). gil sounds like a nice guy but after i left a message that i couldn't wait for the kleemann pulley, he never called me back... :cry:

oh, yeah, the pulley was $799 a while ago - special sale from evosport, but it's now back to $899.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep.. gil gave me that quote....

i can get labor for about $60-70/hr from a reputable shop....

i'm leaning towards the "budget" pulley... so i can get a valentine one as well to battle the adverse affects of the extra power (speed).....

·
Registered
22 Posts
get the asp pulley (i assume that's what you're referring to) as long as your comfortable w/ it. people seem to be very happy w/ it.

good thing is that you got the choices...

the local shop that was going to install the kleemann pulley also quoted about $70/hour. i think AIDesign is a very high end shop. their website is slick and their shop looks damn clean and professional!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the ASP pulley and it's great at any price, let alone that it's a mere $350. Took me an hour to install. Go to the How To's in this forum for instructions. I know of about 6 people that have installed it and everyone loves it and all did it themselves. I even know of one person that was dissatified with a Kleemann alloy pulley and replaced it with an ASP pulley.

·
Registered
23 Posts
can anyone tell me how to get the pulley?!?!

I went to the website and it's not on there so I was wondering
if you needed to get a special order on it or something...

By the way, how does adding the pulley affect the longevity and warranty on the engine? is it necessary to upgrade the intercooler and ECU for a greater peak in performance?
:?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Some SLK's and W202 C230k's have been using a pulley for over five years, and there seems to be no problems with premature engine wear. Someone posted on another board that instead of the engine lasting 200,000 miles maybe it will last for 190,000.

So far there is no ECU upgrade that does much. Renntech is working on one. You don't have to change the intercooler, but a more efficient one would help. A prototype has been built by Spearco, and is being tested. Spearco Intercooler

As for the warranty, you can expect it to be canceled if anything happens to the engine. The Moss-Magnuson Act requires the dealer and/or manufacturer to prove the modifcation cause the problem, but MB can probably afford better legal representation than you or I.

The ASP puslley is a special order. You need to call them and talk to Lee. It takes about 4 weeks to get one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Lynn for the feedback.
I guess we can just pop the orginal pulley back on in case of warranty!

By the way, this pulley upgrade is the crankshaft pulley right? why aren't we upgrading the supercharger pulley instead? woudn't there be a less increased load on the engine since it's just the S/C that spins faster as opposed to every other component being upped a notch from changing the crankshaft pulley?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The supercharger pulley is almost impossible to get off. You would need to remove the supercharger and use a hydraulic press to get the pulley off, and even then you risk damage to the input shaft.

There are also some concerns that the contact area between the supercharger pulley and the belt would be too small resulting in best slippage. The only other thing that runs faster is the alternator on the 2002's. The increased speed of the alternator is within its design parameters. The power steering pump and a/c compressor are driven by another belt on a separate plane which is not changed in diameter.

The 2003's have a single plane pulley, which is what complicates making the crank pulley larger on the 1.8. Everything would run faster. Depending on how the supercharger pulley is mounted and its size, it might be easier to do a smaller supercharger pulley for the 1.8 The 1.8 uses a different supercharger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts