Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for 'B' service back in February. After picking up my car I noticed the driver side windshield wiper hadn’t been changed. That got me to wondering if anything was done at all. All of a sudden the car began to jerk and hesitate as I was accelerating and at a constant speed. It felt like bad gas. I waited until it was at a quarter tank of gas and put in some gas treatment. Then I ran out the rest and filled up at a different gas station. The problem was still there, if not getting worst. The only thing to do now was to take it back to the dealer. The first day it was in the shop, they called me and said they could not duplicate the problem. I was worried I was stuck with something that could not be repaired. I told the service advisor (who is a great guy) that was unacceptable (hoping that would make them look closer for the problem). I also asked them to take it out on the road. Later the next day I received a call informing me that they had a transmission guy take it out and drove it at different speeds and he was able to duplicate the problem. I was happy about that but couldn't understand how or why the transmission was involved. I haven't worked on any cars for at least twenty years. I thought it was bad compression, bad spark plugs or it just needed a tune up. Turns out there’s a part on the transmission that needs replacing. I can't remember if it is a sensor or some kind of switch. Anyway, they didn't have it so I have to go back in a week or so. I'm happy they found the problem but it's a fifty mile drive to the dealership in heavy traffic. If you know the 91 fwy from Newport to Riverside, you know what I mean. I thought I better let you guys know about this problem just in case it’s happening to others. This just goes to show you that putting these cars on sensor readers doesn’t tell them everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i was just curious which dealership you took your car to. the place i go to is right off the 91 in buena park. sounds like the dealership you went to has the same kind of disappointing service i receive. maybe im just used (spoiled) with the service infiniti offers me when i take my wife's car in for servicing. i love my mercedes but the service department could learn a thing or two on how to treat their customers from infiniti

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I go to Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach. I think FJ is the largest Mercedes dealership in the country. They are in Chicago, Vegas and some where else I can't remember. They are very nice and seem to go out of their way to make sure you are happy. When ever I have to leave my car, they always give me a rental that is an upgrade. Something like a C240 although I prefer my coupe. The 240's are just too slow. My service advisor is the kind of guy you would like to hang around. I know that cars these days are so computerized that if the problem does not show up on the monitor, you just don't have a problem. What ever the problem I'm having now, I'm happy they went further to make me happy. There is one problem that they could not reproduce that has me worried. When I turn the key some times the car will not start. They could not duplicate the same problem so there isn't anything they can do. Today I had to turn the key at least ten times before the car would start. This happened every time I turned the car off and then on again. I just can't take paying $35,000 for a car that won't start. You know, I have heard Infiniti has the best service. I've also heard Honda takes real good care of their customers.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Check the end of your smartkey. There is a tiny number. If it falls before 271 (I believe) it is an old model key and should be replaced under warranty with an updated one. This is the main cause we see day to day on 203 cars. Most have been taken care of, but knowing Fletcher Jones like I do, it would not surprise me if it was overlooked. Nice place, but sometimes I believe their "flash" takes a great deal of precedence over substance (ie actually fixing cars).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right about Fletcher Jones. Where would you suggest I take my car? The number on my key is 217 2452. I'm going to ask about the key. They did change the battery 8O

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You definately need to get that key replaced. I am 90% certain that is the issue without even looking at the car. Unfortunately, I don't know any other places in your area. They are a competitor of mine out here. I've heard some stories. I have no first hand experience taking a car there, but word travels fast. You still have to consider that people are more likely to talk about a bad experience than a good one, but missing that key makes me wonder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip. Do you think it is the kind of key or this key. What if I use the spare key? Now I have to remember where I put it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a two day training class in Anaheim Monday and Tuesday. Happened to a Mercedes dealership next door :wink: I went there and told the service advisor I thought Fletcher Jones was too big to handle everyone’s needs all the time. Surprising enough he worked there at one time and knew just what I was saying. Turns out my key was damaged. Better than that, they found out what my other problem was. Antifreeze was leaking into my transmission. They are going to replace my transmission. FJ was saying it was a switch on my transmission. Better yet. They are they are ten to twenty minuts closer to home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts