Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Sorry but I have many questions to answer for people and too little time plus it is early morning here and I have to work in the morning, just check the timing and then we can move on from there.
Well i havent find the hook down by the crankshaft. Do i need to remove any of the weel that is placed on the front of the engine?

Also i beginned with to place the drill in at the camshafts. Are you supposed to be able to put a drill on both same in the same time for the both the camshafts? Also when i rotate the crankshaft only one of the camshaft sprockets moved immediately. The other only move the outside part that is connecteted to the chain first. The inner part was little delay and thats the part were you put the drill. So when i first tried to put in a drill in both hole they didn't fit but when i put the drill in on one of the side and forced the sprockets to move a little it fitted just cause the innerpart was able to move with rotate the chain if you understand what i mean?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes that is the one. But you did not answer my question, did you turn the engine clockwise when bringing up the timing mark, or counter clockwise?

And yes the camshafts are correct but I am awaiting your answer on the above.[/

when i turned the engine clockwise the sprockets answers directly so when i told you the first time i must have turn it counter clockwise.

so basically there should't be a problem there

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
That's good but you still need to remove the tensioner, split it into its basic parts then screw in the outer casing to the engine followed by the inner plunger/spring and finaly the end plate screws on. Then we can be sure the tension is OK.

If it was not fitted this way then you risk breaking the exhaust camshaft as the tension will be too great. And the chain being too tight affects the VVT which in turn affects the idle speed behavoir.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That's good but you still need to remove the tensioner, split it into its basic parts then screw in the outer casing to the engine followed by the inner plunger/spring and finaly the end plate screws on. Then we can be sure the tension is OK.

If it was not fitted this way then you risk breaking the exhaust camshaft as the tension will be too great. And the chain being too tight affects the VVT which in turn affects the idle speed behavoir.

ok now i have take the two pieces apart from the car and split them.

i'll guess they are both supposed to be both part should the screwed into the bottom? and the spring will hold in the position so the tension should be to loose or to hard? so there is not settings u have you use or something like that?

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
ok now i have take the two pieces apart from the car and split them.

i'll guess they are both supposed to be both part should the screwed into the bottom? and the spring will hold in the position so the tension should be to loose or to hard? so there is not settings u have you use or something like that?
There are no special settings at all. Simply screw the outer casing into the engine and then insert into it the plunger followed by the spring and then screw the end cap on. You will find it very difficult to get the end cap on but this is the way it has to be fitted.

Once it is fitted turn the engine over by hand several times and then recheck your valve timing. If the timing is still correct then you are done.

The plunger inside the tensioner can move forwards but cannot move backwards as there is a tiny ring around the plunger that locks it into each setting as it moves forward. This is why we have to fit it in two pieces.

Any slack in the chain/guides will be taken up by the plunger as you rotate the engine by hand. The spring is the only force behind the plunger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Now i have put the tensioner back in place and i have turn the engine around and i'm gonna upload some picture and you can see.

As you can see there is a very small gap on the intake when i insert the drill but i can hardly think that is a tooth on the camsprocket

Attachments

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
Sadly this is not correct, there should be no gap at all, but it is not a full tooth out. The only thing I can think is that the VVT was not in the fully retarded position when you set the timing the first time round.

If this was me I would start again and this time have the inlet camshaft in position with the drill bit in place then make sure the VVT is fully turned to the right and then put the chain on. The exhaust cam is timed last, the position of the inlet cam and the VVT are crucial.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sadly this is not correct, there should be no gap at all, but it is not a full tooth out. The only thing I can think is that the VVT was not in the fully retarded position when you set the timing the first time round.

If this was me I would start again and this time have the inlet camshaft in position with the drill bit in place then make sure the VVT is fully turned to the right and then put the chain on. The exhaust cam is timed last, the position of the inlet cam and the VVT are crucial.
What is a VVT?

·
R.I.P Always Remembered
1,865 Posts
Variable Valve Timing It is the unit on the end of the inlet manifold. When you set the timing you turn it to the right, this is the fully retarded position. Now when the engine is running and revs increase, oil pressure inside the VVT increases and causes it to advance the camshaft, thus the valves open slightly earlier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ia there anyway that you could upload an image of it? Cause i'm not sure exactly what you mean and what to do?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So i need to remove the chain tensioner and then turn the intakeshaft sprocket clockwise until both part of the spocket are about to move?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts