Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I'm not yet a MB owner but planning to be one very shortly. I test drove one and it sold me :)

I have some questions I hope someone can help me understand things better as I really know nothing about the models available. My budget is around 20-30K so I'm looking for something 3-5 years old. My wife wants me to avoid a rear wheel drive as we get snow here in the winters, and of course I want something a little sporty or something I can modify a little... Oh and I need space for the kids so a back seat is important :)

So....

1. Are any of the AMG models available with AWD?

2. Ruling out the rear wheel drive models and two seaters, any particular model I should be considering more than others?

3. Any models/years I should be avoiding?

4. What's the most popular AWD MB as far as modifications and performance goes?

I appreciate any suggestions, my dream car would be an AWD C32 but I need to stop dreaming :)

Thank you
Giancarlo

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't limit yourself. A RWD car with traction control and good winter specific tires will perform just fine in snow conditions. I've had three winters in my coupe with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? Is traction control standard on most MBs? I have read about ESP but didn't see it listed in the specs of any of the cars I've been looking at.

Thanks for the info. I'm still going to try to find an AWD model if possible but it's nice to know I can look at many other models now as long as I buy a good set of winter tires.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
There are no AMG models with 4Matic because 4Matic can't cope with the power of the AMG cars.

$30,000 will come close to getting you a new C230 Sport Sedan, if you don't go overboard on options. The 2005's are a big improvement over the previous years. This does not mean the previous years are bad, jsut that MB fixed many of the small complaints owners had. A used C320 is a good way to go. Some people find C240's to be underpowered, but some people don't.

I don't have any experience with other classes, so I don't feel I should comment. I think most of the other classes at 3 to 5 years old will be above your price range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lynn,

I have seen a few 2000-2001 E320 AWD in the 20-30K range, is that a "something has to be wrong with it" price tag?

I will consider late 90's too, just need to do more homework to get to know the models better...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am an average driver and I found that my previous car, 1998 Honda Prelude (FWD) handled much better in snow than my 2004 CLK320. ESP helps but FWD is far, far better.

Same for my friend, he changed from a Jetta to a BMW-325 and he said the same thing. We both have dedicated winter tires.

I certainly drive my MB in snow but I have to be extra, extra careful.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
mis3, I assume you grew up driving FWD cars. I have never owned an FWD car. I have rented them and driven them in the snow. Other than starting from a dead stop, I don't see any advantage to FWD. As a matter of fact, there are some FWD behaviors that I find disconcerting, if not scary, on snow and ice. It is all what you are used to and expecting from a car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
E320

Hei,
When talking about E320 (4Matic or not), then all of those E-class (also called "sad-eye") MBs are produced in Turkey (at least the ones having sold in Europe) and because of that their "body" was so weak - corrosion took place within 5 years. :evil:
Maybe the ones sold in US are different (don't know anything about it), but I wouldn't recommend a Europe model in any circumstances.

The rule is that under S-class you normally don't get a MB (OK, yes, there are some special models in other classes as well). And W126 is not a bad choice after all. I have 560SEC (from 1983) and 500SEL (from 1985, project right now), both over 20 years old and still better than most of the cars available... :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts