Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day all. I have been researching 450 SL's, as I am considering acquiring one. I had someone tell me they thought the 1975 or 1976 models may have had more difficulties than other model years. Can anyone offer any opinions on the best model years for this car?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I believe that may be true. Most cars had troubles adjusting to the new emissions equipment required in the mid-70's, and mercedes was no exception. If it is the engine size that you like (for whatevere reason) you may want to look into the early 350SL's, as they also were 4.5 liters and are becoming sought after collector's items.

My other recommendation to anybody looking at that body style is the 560SL. This is the more modern of the cars, having all the power options available, heavier suspension, ABS, airbags, and a very powerful engine with a limited slip differential. Driving that car with the top down on a hilly, twisty road is like having your own roller-coaster! Yes, it does suck down a little more fuel, but all the US-spec cars of that bodystyle were very close in fuel consumption.

Check out www.oursl.com for more details on the W107 Sl's. it is the best online resource I have found for SL's yet!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Day all. I have been researching 450 SL's, as I am considering acquiring one. I had someone tell me they thought the 1975 or 1976 models may have had more difficulties than other model years. Can anyone offer any opinions on the best model years for this car?
I have a owned a 1975 450SL for 16 years. When I bought it - it was spur of a moment. I have done a lot of research on modifications made to the 107. From 1972 through the beginning of 1975 the 450 had an electronic fuel injection system and did not have catalytic converters. The basic motor compression and performance were almost identical from 72 through early 75. I have technical references. It states my engine compression should be less then 8.5:1. Ten years into owning it, I had some serviced done and they pulled a compression test. Every cylinder had a compression ratio exceeding 9:1. Sometime in 1975 they removed the electronic injection system and replaced it with a mechanical injection system. Some people say they had problems with it and by 1978 they went back to an electronic injection system. I do not have first hand knowledge, but have heard that heat generated by the catalytic converters could cause vapor locks in the fuel lines. She, Scarlett is cherry red beautiful, with 145.6K miles. People stare at her with their mouths open and ask if they can take her picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts