Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Spoke with my dealer awhile ago. They are investigating the possibility of getting the parts from MB and doing the retro-fit themselves. Initial ballpark price is $1000 for parts and labor. Obviously, if the dealer does it, there can be no question of warranty integrity. Will keep you posted if anything develops.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Mark08859 said:
Spoke with my dealer awhile ago. They are investigating the possibility of getting the parts from MB and doing the retro-fit themselves. Initial ballpark price is $1000 for parts and labor. Obviously, if the dealer does it, there can be no question of warranty integrity. Will keep you posted if anything develops.
They had better get their attorney to research the Federal DOT regs. It is illegal for anyone but the factory to install HID's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lynn said:
They had better get their attorney to research the Federal DOT regs. It is illegal for anyone but the factory to install HID's.
Wasn't aware of that. Perhaps that is one of a number of things the dealer has to check.

Are you sure about that law? It seems odd that so many companies would blatantly sell after-market HID kits when there is only one possible use for them. It isn't exactly an enforced law, I take it. :?:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you look carefully, there is always a disclaimer on those sites that reads something like "For off-road use only" or "Not for highway use". The Fed's won't bother an individual who install his own and the state and local cops can't possibly keep up with which cars got HID's from the factory and which didn't. The Feds will, however, go after dealers who install them. The dealers' pockets are much, much bigger than ours and the Feds will fine them big time.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Euro COMAND is the European version of MB's COMAND navigation system. There is a man from the Netherlands who buy reconditioned units from Bosch and comes to America to install them. The cost US$1300, which is considerably cheaper than the factory installed North American unit.

The Euro COMAND has several advantages. It is easier to get it to show video from dvd's or a tv tuner, a cheaper Nokia phone can be integrated than the protietary MB-Motorola sold in the US, and the navigation instructions are given by a sexy English female voice :wink: The only drawback is that the North American AM band is different than the European AM bank so some AM stations can't be received.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a few questions about the alleged US law against HIDs by anyone other than factory. What is the definition of a factory? What would happen if there was a recall by any manufacturer regarding HIDs, would the cars have to go back to Germany or Japan? What happens when an HID equipped vehicle has serious front end damage from a collision, is the car a write off because the body shop and dealer cannot install new HIDs with the new grill, rads and fenders? Seems strange that a dealer/body shop can rebuild any vehicle, except those equipped with HIDs. 8O

I'll research the Canadian laws to see if we have any similar restrictions and let you know

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do Xenons Damage?

Do H7 Stage 2 or Stage 1 bulbs damage the lamp assembly because of their brighter light and possibly higher temperature?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
H7 halogen bulbs do not have stage 1 or stage 2. They can be purchased in at least three watt ratings. Stock is 55 watts. There are rally bulbs which are 80 watts and also some off road bulbs rated at 110 watts. Only the 55 watt bulbs are legal. Some people are using the 80 watt bulbs as high beams. The 110 watt bulbs may melt the plastic headlight housings, and may draw too much current for the wiring to handle safely.

Stage1 or stage 2 are two of the color temperatures available for Xenon (HID) bulbs. HID's draw less power than 55 watt halogens and operate at safe temperatures.

Do not use the fake HID's which are halogens tinted to produce blue light. They are illegal and because of the tint they produce less light than untinted halogens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why does computer need to recognize the Xenon bulbs?

8) Thanks for the answer. Now I'd like to know why I need to take my car to the dealer so that the computer can recognize my new xenon bulbs? What'll happen if I don't take it in for service?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
They won't stay on and and error message will be display on the MFD. There is way using a pair of relays to get the HID's to stay on but it won't get rid of the error message. Since the eachof the HID's only uses 35 watts of power instead of the 55 watts each H7 uses, the car thinks the headlight are burned out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dealer is Clueless

While I was getting my MB CD Changer installed I asked about having the tech guys reset the computer module to recognize and run with my new (will be here next week) Stage 2 Xenon kit. They had no clue about what parameters needed to be changed. Can anyone give me computer parameter change instructions detailed enough for an Alabama MB mechanic to follow?

Would it just be simpler / and more cost effective in the long run for me to get a computer programming module? Any clue on where I could get one of those?

Thanx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts