Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new Black C320, need to know best way to do daily maintenace for dust, and say monthly maintenance for paint protection. How good are those California Dusters for dust control, do they mess-up the finish? Does the C320 have a clear coat finsih, what is a good waxing system?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Wayne

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a black C320 as well that was delivered in horrid condition with Texas dust and rail dust embedded in the paint. After claying to remove the embdedded dust, I purchased a random orbital buffer, Menzerna polish kit, and Pinnacle Souveran Wax kit from www.properautocare.com for routine maintenance. So far I am very pleased with the results. I also have a CA car duster and hate it. It smears wax junk all over the finish and you will have to wipe the car down again anyway. As for clear coat, MB's have a very thick clear coat. Makes chips/knicks less noticeable.

On a side note, never use a Ding King on the finish. The glue just sticks to the paint and doesn't lift off with the dent puller because of the clear coat. I found this out the hard way . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Black on Black

I have a C230 Black on Black and I have tried a lot of different solutions. The following is what I have found:

Never use spray on wax. It smears and leaves streaks.

When drying your car, always use a semi-wet shami (Sp). Leaves no streaks or swirls. Try not to use towels/cotton shirts...leaves swirls

Try using Maguire’s Wax products. It does miracles

Hope this helps

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on your new car!

As you probably know, black paint shows all defects, scratches, blemishes, etc.

In order to keep it looking top-rate, you'll need to wax it more often than white or silver cars. It's not that hard, it simply takes more attention than lighter colors. On the flip side, it looks much better than the lighter colors when it's properly cleaned up!

Look to get a Porter-Cable random-orbital polisher. Use top-quality products (Meguires, Griots' Garage, etc.) Don't waste time or money on one of the polishers they sell at K-Mart, that plug into your cigarette lighter - it's not the same thing.

I've had my Black/Black C230Sedan since January, and it still looks great. I've waxed it twice (once in January, once in April), and it's almost perfect!

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I actually purchased the Benz cleaning kit, which is Mequire's. Does a nice job. I use soft terry cloth towels for drying. I've never had any luck with a shamois. I always get terrible streaks - and the dye transfers. Guess it's a talent I haven't mastered. Besides, a semi-wet shamois would require about 6 to dry the car, since they immediately become soaked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try the mothers california gold three stage wax system. It has worked wonders on my black C230K. Remember to get the car perfectly dry before waxing. I recommend that you try using a california water blade to remove most of the water and then use a chamois for the rest. It is preferable to hand wax a new black finish rather than using an orbital buffer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
try www.autopia.com
or http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37
the second site is the mbworld forum for automotive detailing and care. it has some stickies on how to wax, apply polymer sealant, wash and maintain your car. autopia is based around car care. those sites have very good suggestions on how to take care of a black car
i suggest handwashing with microfiber everything, then applying zaino to the car. it gives you that wet black look and lasts longer than carnuba waxes. cali dust works ok with zaino, it doesn't really scratch the surface, but if you had the car dealer prepped, then be prepared for swirl marks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts