Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '82 300SD now has 300k on it. All original except for transmission rebuild at 240k. Great car ever since new. But now a problem. My climate control unit began to become intermittent a few years back. I cleaned it up and that helped a little. I found though that if I used two nylon zip ties and tightened up the unit around the twin electrical connectors that it worked perfectly. Apparently, the contacts inside were not touching or were corroded. For the past two years it has been perfect. Lately though it started down the same problem again. So this time I did replace the climate control unit. I checked all the voltages, impedances, and grounds. Everything was within tolerances. Although the flaps and monovalve work well, the fan will not come on. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before, and how hard is replacement of blower motor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tony

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have had the same problem before. The simplest thing to check before you get too involved in troubleshooting is the fuse. This thing is not in the fuse box, but in a little holder on the wheel well top in front of the fuse box, next to the shoch absorber top. It is inline with a wire coming out of the fuse box and looks like just an electrical connector. Deception! :p Flip the top up and there should be a metal strip between two phillips screw heads. This is called the "strip fuse, or "tape fuse", or something like that. I replaced mine and the fan has worked great ever since.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but I do have current at the CCU.

Thanks, checking if one has power is always a great idea. I think on the older 126 series models, the fuse may be a bit different than on newer models. I checked with Programa, a company that rebuilds CCU's and other controls such as Cruise Controls. They mentioned that one of two things may be at fault. First, they said that the Blower Control Unit (regulator) often go out. Secondly, they mentioned that 300k miles is a long time for the Blower Motor to still be working. Has anyone encountered these problems before? Is there any way to check the Climate Control Unit, even though it is new, to make sure it is not at fault? I don't want to go and replace the Blower Control Unit or Blower Motor unless they are at fault. Any suggestions from you will be appreciated.
Tony

1 - 3 of 3 Posts