Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife had a blow out yesterday with her 03 C240, pothole on "new" freeway in houston (pothole city).
i went to save her. jacked up the car, replaced her 16" aluminum rim with the steel spare.
when tightening the spare i did feel it took a lot of effort but figured this had to do with the fact that the steel rim was thinner.
the little drawings on the spare i thought were ment to make sure the nuts went in straight.
i lowered the jack and tried to take off and the car was coulkd not leave.
called the tow truck and had to car dropped off at a local shop.
they called me today to say that i should have used the shorter nuts because the longer ones messed up the hub.
cost: USD 580 (plus 100 if the bearings are messed up as well) plus taxes.
when adding the tow truck and the tire thats USD 900!

obviously I over looked the drwaings but than again, i have owned many many cars in 30 yrs car ownership and i have also changed a number of tires over the years. Again, i am not a technician but come on, this is a mistake from Mercedes. instructions were not clear, period!

I am sure it is going to be tough to get this money from Mercedes or from the city who makes lousy roads with our tax money , but I am curious to know if am the only DA here, be honest??

·
Registered
678 Posts
It is a pretty stupid idea for MB to make a spare wheel require different lug bolts, as I've seen this happen way too many times. But with any vehicle that uses lug bolts instead of lug nuts, you need to be sure there's the proper amount of threads are exposed out the back of the wheel when swapping different kind of wheels. I don't think MB will cover anything. They dealer may or may not help you out, it's really up to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zewerr, thanks for the response. turned out USD 880 for the repairs. I had brought the car to a local shop instead of the dealer thinking i would be better off but on 2nd thought now there is no way i can get help if they were to recognize this as a MB mistake.
nice to know if am not allone and i hope for the sake of others after me that this message gets passed on so they do not make the same mistake!

·
Registered
678 Posts
My suggestion for anyone who buys a new car, or even used, read through the entire owners manual as soon as you get it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blow out.

houston roads are the worst. I managered a tire store for the largest independent tire dealer in the US for over 7YRS. We had numerous saftey and technial meets with our techs on this issue. your not alone, we messed up a few and seen them come in the shop with the wrong lug bolts installed,not a pretty sight. seems like alot of money for just a hub and a tow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a shame. You made a mistake because you didn't interpret the MB instructions correctly for fitting the steel wheel. You are not the first or last to make the same error.

But I rather think the MB dealer might have been cheaper than the local mechanic for the repairs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts