Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valve Guides or Turbo?

When I pull up to a stop light and idle for a minute or so and then take off I leave behind an impressive cloud of blue smoke. I bought the car a couple months ago, and the problem has quickly gotten worse and now I really don't dare drive it. I sold my other car and now I'm really stuck. So far what I've read it seems to either be worn valve guides or blown turbo seals, but before I get to work I'd like to know or atleast think I know which it is. BTW the car is a 92 300d with 155k miles. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Could be either. it could also be that you are just running a little rich, or the injectors are dirty. Bear in mind that diesel is an oil too, so burning excessive amounts, or even uburn diesel can appear as an oil burning problem.

Since this car is new to you, you should probably do the following (if these have not already been done):

Check the Air filter,
Replace both fuel filters,
Run Lubro-Moly "Diesel Purge" through the system (undiluted)
Clean the EGR valve,
Clean the manifold fitting for the the ALDA,
Change the oil (I recommend mobil-1).

I may be forgetting some things, but the air filter and the Lubro-Moly should eliminate two potential sources.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I'm starting at the top and working my way down. I took off the pipe that goes over the valve cover from the turbo to the intake manifold and its coated with oil. It looks like oil is coming is making its way into the intake manifold from here. From visual observations, it looks like oil is going from the valve cover to the turbo inlet then into the intake manifold and then burning. Anyone got a clue why oil would be coming from my valve cover?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts