Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello does anyone know how to boost C230K from the hood and not the trunk where the battery is. For those who know my story, i am not able to access the trunk (read trunk key hole thread). Now i need to boost the car because it appears the battery has been drained. Does anyone know where i would be able to boost the car through the hood. I know its possible but i dont know where the place is....please help. Thanx

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you can access it, you can connect the positive jumper cable to the hot side of the starter relay.

Another thing is getting one of those connectors that lets you charge the battery using the cigarette light receptacle. You may need to turn the ignition switch to the first position. This will take a lot longer. You can get the connector at any auto parts house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Lynn

I tried the cigarette lighter thing, however no luck. I m gonna look try to boost with the starter relay... i hope it will work, otherwise i think it might be the starter.....things are getting pretty complicated with this car. I had no such luck with the trunk key hole, no locksmith wants to touch (telling me go to a dealer) but dealer is charging me 600$ for it. I most likely will have to drill the lock and have it replaced unfortunetly. Thanx for the help, i ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Lynn

I was able to start the car throught the cigarette lighter but now the car wouldnt start again. I was wondering if you can tell me where the starter relay is located? I know that for BMW's they have a little black box (i believe that's the starter relay) it has the + and - sign and thats where we would be able to boost it. But for the moment i can't locate this piece in my car. Can you tell me where i can find it? Or if i post a pic
would you be able to locate it? Once again thanx for the help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I imagine your starter will be with all your other relays in the main fuse box under the hood. I will check it out over my lunch hour today on my car. I think your problem though, given the circumstance, is that your battery wil no longer hold an adequate charge. It is unfortunate, but you are going to need to get into your trunk (or boot, for our overseas members). The OEM batteries are of questionable quality to begin with, and you are probably going to need a new one. Where are you located? If you are anywhere near the midwest it is likely that I could hook you up with a locksmith that isn't afraid to repair your frozen lock. I think at this pont in time you are going to have to bite the bullet and get the lock fixed. It is impossible to properly diagnose a no start condition without knowing the state of the battery.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why dont you fold the back seats down and jump the car through there ?
also most cars have a manual trunk release from inside the trunk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There actually was a very limited number of 202s with fold down seats. These are so rare they almost don't exist. I doubt this would be an option. A lot of MB cars locate the fuel tank directly behind the rear seat, so that is often not even an option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the help guys
no unfortunetly my back seat doesnt fold back, otherwise it could have solved my trunk problem ...(from previous post). I know that i will most likely have to buy a new battery cuz its already 4 years old! I was thinking of buying a new battery soon but with all this problem..... its not easy.

I m located in eastern Canada. So far i am able to put a screwdriver (really small and thin one and is also longer than my key) all the way in the trunk lock. However its the springs that are preventing me to insert the key all the way in. I m trying to put graphite lubricant and see if it will work.

But concerning the boosting, if i m able to locate the starter relay , just so that i can start the car....would solve one of my problems.
I appreciate the help. Thanx

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
After doing some pretty extensive research on the wiring of your vehicle's starting/charging circuit, talking to some of my techs and trying to figure a way on my own 202, I can say that you do not want to try and start the vehicle in any other manner than the correct one. The concern here is there are way too many sensitive electronic componenets/modules that need a very specific amount of power to function properly and start the car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you will likely fry something expensive. You're ME (engine management) modeule would bear a good brunt of this. This is a very expensive item and must be installed by some one with access to all the control module adaptations, as the old information needs to be downloaded and fed into the new unit. If yours gets fried, that information may not be able to be retrieved and the ME module would have to be manually version coded. These all require the MB STAR tester and could rack up some good sized labor charges as well. I cannot in good conscience recommend you try to circumvent proper procedure here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the advice. I dont think i ll be boosting through the starter relay like you said (too much at risk). I decided to buy a 12Volt solar panel battery charger (about $30Cdn) plug it through the cigarette lighter and see if it will charge my battery. I don't expect the battery to be fully charged in a couple of days but depending on the weather I d say by next weekend.

If that doesnt work i ll most likely sign up with MB road side assistance and have them boost my car through the hood (After all they are MB certified right?!?)

We'll see.....

Hopefully i ll be able to open the trunk by then and have all my problems solved. Keep our fingers crossed....

So close yet so far....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts