Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, like hte title says I bought a 1988 300e it has very high miles it has 238k on it and it actually seems to run great. I bought this car as a daily driver to save my truck and my toy car (convertible corvette).

My question is how long do these engines usually go for? the lady I bought it from said she was the 2nd owner and kept the oil changed every 3k miles with castrol 20w50!!! seems like that might be too thick to me but she said thats what is recommened for it so is she right?

the only things it needs is a new muffler which I found on the net for $150 for the orignal piece and a swtich for the passenger seat bc the passenger one won't go back and thats about it.

also did I pay too much? on kelly blue book it has it listed at jsut $2,025 but she was firm on the 3k and I needed a daily soon bc I will be doing a lot of traveling back and forth and didn't want hwy miles on my other cars.

I paid just $3000 for it and it looks good interior and exterior so if these motors usually run for around 300-350k I'll be pleased.

thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, after 23 views and no replies I can just feel that his is a very loving and supportive bunch of people here :roll:

I coulda posted something in the corvette forum and got nearly a reply for ever view!

CYA, going to another forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In case you're still watching, this is my first day on this forum, but I have experience with the 300E and the M103 engine found therein.

If this engine is in good condition at this point and you properly maintain it, there are many more trouble free miles left in it.

My 300E has about 278,000 miles and is still in great shape with no oil consumption or any other maladies. Change oil and filter often and keep up with normal preventive maintenance and it'll go.

Merry Christmas,

·
Registered
2 Posts
i think you got ripped off
i bought a 1990 300e that was owned by mechanics. It has 117 thousand miles on it, perfect interior, everything worked perfectly
$5000 :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
benzboy2 said:
i think you got ripped off
i bought a 1990 300e that was owned by mechanics. It has 117 thousand miles on it, perfect interior, everything worked perfectly
$5000 :D
I think you got ripped off, I got a perfect, almost new in & out 300E with 116k for $3600 :D

Come over to BenzWorld.org ..a lot more members..

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pardon me boys, maybe I am from the old school,....but perhaps it would be better to speak about the good deal you received rather than say that someone else was "ripped off".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got an 89 with 280K miles on it and the engine still running fine.. Few little things that i've had to replace over the years, but for a 15+ year old car its still going strong.

Starting to burn a little oil.. but nothing significant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts