Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree

Waxing is your best option. dusting periodiclly. I don't think benz will ever fix this problem, maybe they consider it a signature. Asbestos! for everyone!
:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
That obviously is a financial advantage for Mercedes Benz. Their "soft" pads (which, according to an L.A. service manager lasts between 9-12,000 miles---about the time for your 10k service) is made that way so it will stop shorter and cancel out break squeal. Baloney, other cars can stop much shorter and if properly installed will have no break squeal (when I replaced the factory front pads on my '98 Honda Prelude Type SH, it had about 3/8" of the pad leftover at 60k miles--no squeals either. This car was heavily and competitively autocrossed which meant a lot of hard brake usage). The logical solution for Mercedes Benz would be for them to go to larger rotors and bigger pads. Of course, if they go this way it would be difficult for their dealers to recover the "perks" they give their customers (e.g. free roadside assistance). As an additional note, MB does not turn rotors, rotors are simply replaced.

That's the price of luxury.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Blast it!

For cleaning I just blast it with my pressure washer and it's history. No chemicals, no muss... no fuss.

Once a week and it's not a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aftermarket is most likely the solution. Have to do my research for MB aftermarket pads. I am familiar with EBC Greenstuff & Mintex Redbox. Both great pads......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rotor covers may keep your rims clean but may damage (warp) your rotors. The cover keeps your rotors from cooling and will build up heat in your rotor and in time may warp your rotor and could cause vibrations when braking.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use Meguiar's Gold Class Instant Wheel cleaner. Spritz it on, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse. I get a lot of steam from the rotors if I do it when they're hot. That doesn't seem good, so I wait until they're cool.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Simple Green. Spray the full concentrate on the tires and wheels and then use a soft - medium brush. The grime falls right off, and it's safe for the environment!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you ever take your car for track sessions, never apply the hand/foot brakes while the rotors are still hot--your rotors could warp (simply leave it in gear for manual trannies or put the auto shifter in park) at the end of a session.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts