Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just quoted 2300 for a brake job on my 2017 E300.

I know Mercedes maintenance is expensive but this seems like a lot. I have done brake jobs before but unsure about tackling the Mercedes.

Any thoughts on where i might get a better deal or if i should just do it myself?

·
Administrator
902 Posts

I know Mercedes maintenance is expensive but this seems like a lot. I have done brake jobs before but unsure about tackling the Mercedes.

Any thoughts on where i might get a better deal or if i should just do it myself?
It depends on what needs doing!

If it's just brake pads you can do that easily yourself, other tasks may need more technical skills.

·
Registered
2013 ML350
3 Posts

I think you may find it’s reasonable, although expensive, if the dealer is planning to replace all four sets of rotors and calipers. I just had your experience with my ML350, and went the DIY route myself. Used Rock Auto to source my parts and paid about $900 just for them. So then my question was - is it worth the additional $1400 for labor? Today my answer is different from then. Now I’ll say ‘Absolutely!’ My inexpensive air wrench wasn’t strong enough to break the lugnuts loose so I had to stop and rent (!) a professional air wrench. Each wheel was frozen to its hub (aluminum to steel bonding), requiring a 6 ft prybar to break it free. Each wheel (20” dia) weighed about 90-100 lbs; enough to give me a hernia trying to maneuver it off and away from the car, and all that was before having to go through the hassle of disassembling the brake on each wheel. I was coated with brake dust, road grime, oil & grease, and chemical burns from all the brake cleaning fluid I had to use before I ever got to install the first part on the first wheel. By the time the first wheel was reassembled, I was willing to pay almost $1K EACH for someone else to do the other three!!! In short, yes you can probably find someone to do it cheaper (but make sure you establish they know what they’re doing!) and you certainly can do it yourself. But don’t forget - it’s springtime, almost summer, and there’s a LOT of beer that must be consumed and food to grill. Why waste the weekend? Best of luck to you, whichever choice you make!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts