Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes on my C240, which has 12,000 miles (fully 75% long distance highway miles) have noticeably deteriorated in performance. I thought the brakes were very good when the car was new, and do not think there should be any issues at 12K miles - especially given the highway miles. Are there any adjustments that can be made? Other comments? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It seems peculiar that you would notice a lack of braking performance. Even when the pads are on their wear indicators, there shouldn't be any real noticable loss of stopping ability in normal driving. Is your issue with the initial grabbiness, the pedal feel, panic stop situations?

Have the dealer check it out and maybe ask to ride in an identical vehicle back to back for comparison. You may want to go for a ride with the dealer's shop foreman so that they can feel what's going on and compare it with the accepted norm.

I would maybe try bleeding the brakes if you are unsatisfied with them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake performance

Thanks for your reply - good comments. The difference is in performance - stopping distance. I was surprised to see a 'rating' of average for this cars brakes (somewhere like motor trend, etc). As a new vehicle, this car stopped in the proverbial NY minute. In the first few months I had the car, there were 2 occasions when I needed a quick stop. Once was a deer at 75 mph (seemingly right in front of me), the second a racoon at about 50. Both times I was startled at the stopping distance - it was on a dime. Only with the deer was there any squeel, and it was minimal.

The car just doesn't stop as quickly now, yeah - they aren't as grabby, either. Your suggestion to see the dealer is best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
C230K brakes

Does anyone think that 25k miles is a little early for brakes to be replaced? I'm already hearing the wear indicator. I do about 75% highway driving, nothing too intense. It has got me a little worried. Also, am I able to get these brakes replaced at a regular Brakes Shop or like other things on my car, are they "Dealer Only?"

Thanks for the attention.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't think our cars have an audible brake wear indicator. We do have an electrical brake wear indicator that will be illuminated on the instrument panel. I know of one car which is dirven very, very hard and its brakes were changed at 47,000 miles. Changing the pads is very easy. You could probably do it yourself. Any shop certainly can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm cuirous then, why my brakes are squealing. I'm going to have to put my car up on blocks and see what's going on down there. Hopefully it's just time for a newset of pads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts