Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm hoping someone can help us. My daughter was given a 1976 300d by an aquaintance. The car had not been driven in 3 years and had to be towed to our home. We have replaced the battery, that seemed to solve alot of the problem, but we are still unable to get it started. It was suggested that we put "diesel doctor" in the gas tank, we did, along with 5 gallons of clean diesel, the glow plugs were replaced just before the car was parked. They seem to be operating fine. We replaced the fuel filter also. We were able to get it started once, it ran for about 30 seconds, then my daughter kind of "gunned" it, and it shut off. We haven't been able to start it since. We can't really afford to take it anywhere so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Jennifer

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Oh yeah,

After opening the fuel system on that car, you usually have to prime the system. There is a knob that screws into the side of the injection pump. Unscrew it, pump it a few times, until you feel pressure, and screw it back in. This helps to make sure that the system has good fuel pressure and you don't kill your battery trying to start the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts