Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I bought my Benz, I had a lovely little Porsche 911. I made a great many friends that had Porsches, both through the Renn List, and at PCA sponsered events. There was a true cameraderie. Porsche drivers even go so far as to flash their lights at each other in passing, and feel snubbed if the flash is not returned. Then things changed in my life. I got a different job, which required a lot more driving, and some idiot in a pick up truck rammed my Porsche, so I did what I thought was the practical thing; I bought a nice, safe C230 Kompressor. Comfort, fuel economy, and a supercharger. What could be better?

But no one flashes their lights at me any more. There are no more driving events. No more rennlist, with 50 new e-mails every day.

Is there no such thing as the Brotherhood of the Benz? If not, let's start it now, C owners! Flash your lights!

·
Registered
22 Posts
VW Brotherhood...

This sounds sad to me as I am currently driving a VW Jetta and feel a connection to all other VW owners. We occasionally wave when driving and seeing other VWs.

Where I live there are not many Benz drivers so hopefully we would be able to form some sort of drivers bond. I don't know but we will see in a couple of months when my car finally arrives...

:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: VW Brotherhood...

oneoldkid said:
This sounds sad to me as I am currently driving a VW Jetta and feel a connection to all other VW owners. We occasionally wave when driving and seeing other VWs.

Where I live there are not many Benz drivers so hopefully we would be able to form some sort of drivers bond. I don't know but we will see in a couple of months when my car finally arrives...

:)
I hope your Jetta is better than mine was. I felt a great connection to other Jetta owners in that all of our windows fell into the doors, and all of our spark coils failed multiple times. There would be 2 or 3 of us in the service area at a time, all with the same problems. I just hope the Benz won't bring me together with owners in the same way. I got to go back to the VW service dept. 8 times in 19,000 miles, and I didn't even get any donuts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Jetta...

My Jetta has been fantastic!!! 130,000 miles and still no problems!!! I am only getting a new car because my wife doesn't want to have to drive her car forever and it is my turn to get a new car :)

I am very confident in the German engineering and that is why I am going into my new Benz purchase with confidence.

Agreed that when I go to have my car serviced now I don't even get a piece of candy and when I go to look at a Mercedes I get a latte and cookies ;)

I will flash my lights if I see you on the road but not in the service shop :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Troutman said:
Before I bought my Benz, I had a lovely little Porsche 911. I made a great many friends that had Porsches, both through the Renn List, and at PCA sponsered events. There was a true cameraderie. Porsche drivers even go so far as to flash their lights at each other in passing, and feel snubbed if the flash is not returned. Then things changed in my life. I got a different job, which required a lot more driving, and some idiot in a pick up truck rammed my Porsche, so I did what I thought was the practical thing; I bought a nice, safe C230 Kompressor. Comfort, fuel economy, and a supercharger. What could be better?

But no one flashes their lights at me any more. There are no more driving events. No more rennlist, with 50 new e-mails every day.

Is there no such thing as the Brotherhood of the Benz? If not, let's start it now, C owners! Flash your lights!
I dont know what it is either. I dont think all MB owners are stuck up....everytime we try to organize a gtg MB owners seem to be the most nitpicky and whiny. As the BMW/Audi/VW drivers show up anywhere in DROVES. It is odd. I had more 'brotherhood' w/my Mitsubishi lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Troutman said:

I know exactly what you are saying here, Troutman. I, just like oneoldkid, drove a VW Jetta for 12 straight years. The cameraraderie WAS incredible. I mean, driving 75 MPH on an interstate, recognizing another VW coming at you, and then you realize they have spotted you too. It was a cool club to belong to. Unfortunately, just like Jimbo, my '94 was a piece of junk that I finally called VW and told them to come pick up from my house because I wasn't paying another penny. But, I digress...

I am hesitant to act the same way in my coupe for one reason: with my Jetta, I was at or near the top of the VW food chain. Most of the drivers were like myself. That is, 25-40, well-educated, knowledgeable about cars AND driving, etc. With my coupe, I am at the bottom of the MB food chain. If I see other coupes (which I don't too often in my neck of the woods), I do wave. If I see an E-, S-, or M-class, I will let them acknowledge me first. I don't want it to seem to them that I am trying to equate our vehicles because they both have the MB badge. Consdering that mine cost $30k and theirs cost $45-80K, that would be a bit of a stretch, and I understand that.

I'll wave if I see you, Trout!!! :p :wink: :p

Tim 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lighten up!

Not only should we flash our brights & toot our horns, those of us who have panorama sun roofs shuld wiggle our fingers out the roof! Just for the shear joy of being alive and able to see well enough to recogonize each other on the road :lol:
Zada, the geezer.
73 and in sixth gear

·
Registered
6 Posts
This would never work in my area. For one, the DC area is loaded with MBs so I would be waving to every other car. You also have a high percent of retired people driving them that I don't think would know what to do if you waved at them. In the DC area we also have a lot of people from other coutries that may not know what you want.

I've had a few Jeep Wranglers in the past and owners would wave at one another. When I sold my last one in 2001 the waving thing was dying out. I guess the dealerships aren't explaining to the customers that it is their job to wave to other Wranglers.

I have to agree that Benzs for the most part are snooty cars. Since I drive a C or "Cheap Class" I would probably just get labeled as a wannabe by the Es, Ss ....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Come up to canada people are allways waving to me and it some time anoying but I allways wave back I am 18 and drive a C class it maybe be the cheapest Mercedes but at least I have one its a really awesome car

one thing that bothers me is everytime it take my car to the dealership they automaticaly know that its not from "there" and they allways tell me that. its a fringing mercedes and i want to by things there but evertime they piss me off and i go else where

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dear Duncan

DuncanM said:
This would never work in my area. For one, the DC area is loaded with MBs so I would be waving to every other car. You also have a high percent of retired people driving them that I don't think would know what to do if you waved at them. In the DC area we also have a lot of people from other coutries that may not know what you want.

I've had a few Jeep Wranglers in the past and owners would wave at one another. When I sold my last one in 2001 the waving thing was dying out. I guess the dealerships aren't explaining to the customers that it is their job to wave to other Wranglers.

I have to agree that Benzs for the most part are snooty cars. Since I drive a C or "Cheap Class" I would probably just get labeled as a wannabe by the Es, Ss ....
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dear Duncan:
I too live in the DC area. I don't worry about what other people of any class think. E shmee etc.
Start out by just flashing, (lights, that is!) at other C class coupes.
My ride, THE JANIS JOPLIN SUNSHINE EXPRESS, with Maryland plates.
I am retired and I would be happy to wave at you. Retired, don't mean dead.
Look for me but I bet that anyC 230 coupe will wave or smile back at ya. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know what you mean by brotherhood with respect to vehicles. Regarding my other vehicle, some of my brothers (and sisters) have tatoos showing what they ride. Now I have seen a lot of bar and shield tatoos, but have yet to see a three-pointed star. Anybody got one?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The situation is that there are a lot of mercedes on the road and flushing on everybody would look strange:)

I don`t flush but I am very polity with other MB owners. When I see another MB owner having difficulties to get out from a smaller street and I am on the main street I always slow down. And when a MB is behind me (an SL 600 for instance) I always make easier to take over me. :)

You can still buy another exotic car ... unfortunately MB is great but not so exotic :(

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have only had one other C230 owner give me a wave (I opted for the "V" peace sign to him). I also previously drove a VW Jetta - in fact that's what I traded on the Benz. I loved my Jetta and considered getting another, but you just can't put enough luxury into one. I have a long commute, so I wanted to treat myself to some ammenities. When this one is due for trade my first preference is going to be a C240-4matic, but honestly I will have to also consider a loaded Passat or maybe an Audi Quattro. I love the MB and want a roomy one (and AWD for winter) but one must justify the price.
I agree that most MB folks are snooty, which is why I have to consider if I want to be one of them. I still get a lot of grief for driving "a Benz".

·
Registered
175 Posts
andkovacs said:
The situation is that there are a lot of mercedes on the road and flushing on everybody would look strange:)

I don`t flush but I am very polity with other MB owners. :(
Flush? You have a toilet in your car? Damn, and I thought I was only missing the Command system. That could sure come in handy when stuck in traffic after drinking coffee!! :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
:D You guys are funny. I missed this forum. Life has been so busy during the holidays. I'm glad I stopped in for a minute. As for flashing lights at other C230. I can tell you don't live in California. I'm from the mid west and let me tell you, the people here are afraid of each other. At one time it was suspicious to flash your lights at another driver for fear they might shoot you or follow you. On the other hand, I'm not from here so I don't act like these people. There is another C230 the next block over from my house and I had to drive down the street as I saw her get out of her car and congratulate her on her new 230. I think I made her day :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, Hosea you are right. It is better to keep quiet on the road especially in South Central. :lol:

Flashing has different meaning depending on where you live. In Europe it usually means that you have got a cop ahead. Except in Yougoslavia. That mean you have got a bazooka ahead :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank God I don't live in south central. I'm more of a country boy. Well, Riverside use to be country. Over a million people in the Inland Empire now. With all those people I only know of one MB dealership (Walters). I bought mine at Fletcher Jones of New Port. I thougt it better to buy where the most Mercedes people live. There are a respectable amount of Benz out here but not as many to have any type of brother or sisterhood. Not that many C230 coupes at all. If there were activities somewhere near I would be involved. The few in the Star Mag look like old fogies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Recognition on the road:flashing lights and thumbs up

Hi,

I have come to the conclusion that a large percentage of motorists haven't a clue what car anybody is driving, unless it is the exact same model , year and colour as their own. A two door MB. Not possible!

On the other hand, when I drove my 57 VW from Ontario to Manitoba via Minnesota & North Dakota(in 1961), almost everyone waved, stared in wonder as I filled the tank up and checked the little grinder at the rear for oil. I followed truckers at night, or they followed me, because we both took for ever to reach cruising speed!

VW owners ALWAYS flashed their lights and waved. They were just as amazed as me how tough those little critters were and, our American friends were bemused at such a homely, tiny and noisy little beast.

Do I care about how people view my C230? No. I am usually in front of most of them anyway.

PS: Yes. On Vancouver Island we Do get snow. I drove my C230 with P6 all seasons all over the place two days ago, through snow and over ice. The ESP complained but I had no problems. Neighbours with front wheelers, including vans, got stuck!! Go figure that one!
Happy New Year

Al :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts