Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every1 i,m a 20 year old women just passed my driving test and looking at buying a mb 190e 1988 E but i dont know much about cars its a auto 87k fmbsh excellent condition is it a good car :?: :?: the insurance is quite good low for a 2.0L what do you guys think i should do :?: BUY IT OR LEAVE IT :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Get a thorough prepurchase inspection from a technician that knows Mercedes-Benz autos. This is the most important part of buying any car and should not be overlooked for any reason. This will tell you what the car needs, what the likely future maintenence issues will be and overall, if you are making an informed decision.

·
Registered
302 Posts
PHAEDRUS242 said:
Get a thorough prepurchase inspection from a technician that knows Mercedes-Benz autos. This is the most important part of buying any car and should not be overlooked for any reason. This will tell you what the car needs, what the likely future maintenence issues will be and overall, if you are making an informed decision.
Phaedrus, whatis a reasonable charge to expect for a thorough inspection? Coupla hunnert bucks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that i will arrange that today i've been quoted 275 for inspection does that sound about right do you know the common faults with them :D

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That seems a little high, but that depends on how thorough the inspection is. I normally charge one to two hours, depending on the complexity of the particular vehicle. On a newer car, one hour should be sufficient to check for leaks, suspension play/worn parts and basic electrical diag (running codes, verifying proper function of peripheral components). Any more than two hours would probably be unecessary, regardless of the age of the vehicle. So, $275 might be a little high, but if they are actually spending the time and not just charging 3 hours for 1.5 hours work, then it would be more worth it. Are you taking the car to a dealer or an independent? Also, make sure you request to have one of the older guys take a look at it for you, some one who was around when the car was new. I can run right through modern MB's, as I am familiar with all their trouble areas and what the common complaints are. I would be just as lost an an independent would be working on older vehicles. At that point, the premium you pay to have the dealer do your work isn't really worth it. Maybe bring donuts/bagels in to your appointment and ask if you can meet the technician; a little bribery never hurt anyone. Best of luck with your purchase. Let me know how it all turns out. If you get a report from the tech on the condition of the vehicle, you can post the results here and I can help you rate the severity of each indivual concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts