Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
i am currently on the market for a new, big luxury sedan. i am considering the new 745i and the S430 or S500. I am wondering
if there have been any know problems with the newer S classes,
such as electrical problems :?: or any other problems you may have
encountered- and maybe give me some tips on buying

thanks much! :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The new S class cars are pretty well put together by now. There were some cases of the airmatic suspension failing necessitating the replacement of all four airmatic struts, the pump and the relay that controls it. There omnipresent (amongst MB's) crank pulley failure is always a concern, but will never be an issue provided the maintenance schedule is adhered to. They really are good cars. Especially when compared to the constantly trouble prone 745i's. Get the 500 as opposed to the 430. Although the power numbers are similar, the difference in the character of these cars under acceleration is night and day. There have been a few COMMAND failures as well as some communication platform issues, but not nearly to the extent the the new E classes have seen. Keep in mind the new S class will be arriving on our shores in the near future, so this could be a good bargaining chip when the time comes to talk price. Parts are expensive as it is an expensive car, and labor can be high as they are so advanced. If the plan is to keep it for a long period of time, a good extended warranty is almost mandatory. The leases available now are very attractive and will save you big in the long run, especially if you plan on trading up in a few years. The 745 will probably be a bit more fun for "spirited" driving, although the counter intuitive I-drive system and its horrible reliability thus far make it less than attractive in my opinion. Drive them both, see which vehicle suits you better. My vote is solidly in favor of the MB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts