E class and i was wondering if anyone has
experienced any problems? if you have
please share!
thank you!
-Peter :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Newer MBs (and german cars in general) are not quite as reliable as they once were. There are some examples I've heard of that are relatively trouble-free, but that is not the majority of cases. They are great driving experience, but the overall cost of ownership is pretty high. My recommendation is leave yourself some room with your payments. Anyone can affors to buy/lease one of these vehicles, but keeping them up to their precise tolerances is another story altogethor. I wouldn't be part of this board if I didn't love their vehicles (I've got two myself). That being said, I think the ideal canididate for one of these cars is some one that is a little passionate about the driving experience and wants a little more than what your comparable japanese/american rivals can offer. Owning a german car almost becomes a way of life (almost). If you want something trouble free to get around in, the japanese are still ahead of the game. If you want an experience from your drive that sort of "nails the intangible other" so to speak, then I highly recommend one of these vehicles. Buy the extended warranty if you plan on keeping the car past it's factory coverage. It will pay for itself, and save you huge amounts of frustration.

As a side note, the new C55 is an absolute blast to drive, the new interiors are truely classy, and handling is nearly on par with that other german car company whose hot rod compact model grenades engines like DSMs get crankwalk. If you've got the financial wiggle room, that is definately the way to go. Or check out an '02 or slightly earlier CLK 55. Styling is top-notch and the thing is an absolute screamer (I am of course a little biased). The prices have come down since the new model came out (which looks like an acura [shudder]). There are some great low mileage starmarks out there that may fit that price range as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The cost of owning a Benz

Hi,

I am enjoying this exchange of views. I agree with Phaedrus242 that, essentially, owning a Benz goes beyond the cost and has more to do with how we feel about owning one(I have owned/leased or driven numerous).
On a cost effective basis, one should remember that, with the C230, whether you are happy with yours or not, if you comply with the warrantee service requirements--and many don't, obviously, you are pretty well covered, except for tires, for 4 years overall and 5 for drivetrain--at least in Canada. In the US your lubricants are covered until next year(?), but not in Canada.
Now, friends and neighbours, many of whom have Japanese marques illustrate a fact we need to consider: in Canada I take the C230 in for service A or B, every 15000 Kms(7500miles), whereas they go every 5,000 kms(3000miles). Over the life cycle of a warrantee, go figure how much more THEY pay. This should be added to the cost of their vehicles,which, by the way, often cost much less and often more than a C230(ie an AcuraTL).
I dont do my servicing so, for people like me, it is worth considering.If you do your own, servicing for these people has its own individual perspective.
al :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also agree with PHAEDRUS242. My own experience with a 96' W 202 is that some kind of reliability problems (if it have some!) are only in the first two years or first 80.000 miles. After that this car is running like a new one without problems and for ages. I just call it "long term quality". A long time after the warranty has ended the catalyst stopped the car during driving very fast on the autobahn at night(77.000 miles). (the only problem I ever had)

After an emergency pick up and help from the only car service in that county (Renault!! a french marque), Mercedes was paying for all costs I had. Hotel, food, rental car(BMW 3 series!), Renault . After I exchanged my rental BMW back to my own C220 I had the feeling that I just been upgraded about comfort and driving experience.

Honestly, I didn't had any extra insurance, warranty or similar. Mercedes paid voluntary within 4!! days. It is something special to own a Mercedes. My next car shall be a Mercedes again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Before everything:
I like my MB for its design, confort and safety.
I am a person who takes extrem car of his cars.

However regarding quality I have a lot to say after 22000mi.
Just a short list of broken items:
- Front bumper is plenty of stone chips. The paint layer is very thin
- Fabric on seat is getting used
- Radio broken two times
- Front windshield replaced 3 times !!
- Front sway links broken
- Rear transfer case broken
- Rear MB letters are coming off
- Rear trunc covers supports broken, all 4 at different times. (I fixed them with my own glue)

·
Registered
113 Posts
On the other hand, I have a 2000 C230 Kompressor with around 135,000 miles on it, and haev never had a more trouble free car. Great mileage, too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the consensus here is the Japanese build more reliable cars but they just aren't a Benz. The Mercedes motto fits me exactly. "Love what you drive" and I do.
I really loved the 240D I had before my C230 coupe I'm driving now. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't take good care of the 240D.
If I were advising my kid on what to buy, it would be a Toyota or Honda. If they didn't care about the Mercedes look and feel. I don't know anyone that has had as many problems with those cars as I have heard about MB.
My 2003 C230 has a broken sun roof, sun roof rattles license plate light went out and the air bag restraint system light went on (had to take it in for that). My sister drives the C230 sedan and has had a few serious problems with here air conditioner and braking system. My guess is you want a MB, that's why you are here. Follow the moderator’s suggestions and I think you will be fine.
8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard to say!

I have had my 2003 CDI now for 12 months and have had some minor electrical problems with it. Sunroof wouldn't close, lights wouldn't turn off etc.etc. I have now had it in to mercedes twice and they have fixed it twice and this morning i had the same problem again. However every time i have taken it into the workshop they have had a "drop everything" attitude when i walked in the door and (attempted atleast!) to fixed the problem then and there.

That said, It still drives like the first day i stepped into it and fuel economy is nothing next to amazing.

I am a previous BMW owner and I would say that out of all the cars i have owned, this is the first car i can truely say that i plan to completely pay off. Its a car i can see driving in 20 years time (if deisel is still around then!!). BMW (at least in this price range) just does not come close to comfort and build quality in my opinion, although in australia the 318 compared to the c180 has an almost 10,000$ different in price, so its only logical i guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I too have had my share of problems with my 2003 C230K Coupe.
My biggest issue is the poor service I've gotten from my dealership in Morristown, New Jersey. When you try to get service from another M-B daeler they discourage you. Waiting time to get an appointment is over six weeks if they will even take you. Also, another dealership won't offer you a loaner car. A loaner car has been important to me since the dealership frequently did not have the necessary parts in stock. I even has to wait for parts to come from Germany! Expect to have your car in the shop 2-3 days for most problem appointments. All things considered, I wouldn't consider a Mercedes-Benz again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
MB C230 reliability

We bought our 1998 C230 in 2000 which it had 50,000 (hwy.?) miles and was Starmarked by the MB dealer when we got it . The service history showed a variety of warranty repairs and we had a few more . The 2 yr. extended warranty at $900 was well worth the money . We now have 121,000 well maintained miles on the car and other than the soft Michelin Pilots and MXV4's wearing out like I'm autocrossing it ( not ) , its been reliable . I put Michelin Harmony's on it and other than a decibel increase in ride noise all I can tell is they wear a LOT slower . I had a Volvo , a Saab and a slew of high end Japanese cars before the MB 230 and there is no comparison . The durability of the exterior paint and trim is way ahead of anything the Japanese , Saab or Volvo have . The interior durability is also better than the Japanese and maybe a little better than Volvo /Saab . ( for 1995-1998 models anyway ) . I don't think I would own an MB or any top line car though if I couldn't do some basic work on it myself - brakes , plugs , filters , bulbs, fluids -- easy to blow though $1000-1200 /yr. on scheduled maintenance and minor stuff if you take it to the Dealer for everything .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Statistically, some Japanese makes like Toyota have less troubles.
But you should keep in mind that currently a lot of breakdowns are due in particular to electrical equipments. Their number directly depends of the comfort level of your car.
Cars with less equipments have statistically less risk of breakdowns.
Now my question is "Do you want a car with lots of equipments and a high comfort level? Or a simple and reliable car?" :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts