Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 1994 C220 and have noticed that it doesnt' like to change gears from 3rd to 4th until it hits above 55km/h, which is very late, so I'm driving around in the city in 3rd gear most of the time.
The only solution I found is to manually pull the gear shifter from 'D' to '3' and back into 'D' again to force it to change.

It's very annoying driving around in 3rd because the torque is very high...I think it should be changing around 40km/h or so for a smooth transition.

Any ideas? It's been like this since I bought the car about 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help,
Platinum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
trans

may be a faulty upshift delay valve, or misadusted upshift delay valve. I would take to shop /dealer, its not a fun adjustment procedure and even worse to replace. its not something i couldwalk you through on the computer. but like the previous post said, i would start with the basics, fluid level and condition, check for any debris in the pan that would indicate damage that required overhaul. hope this helps

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds like the valve is sticking. The first thing that you should try, before you go nuts with expensive repairs, is change the fluid and filter. It sounds like you haven't done it often enough. If you have been negligent, then the very act of changing the fluid might actually make it drive worse for a while. Do not dispair! This is simple because the new fluid is cleaning out deposits that should have been flushed out a long time ago. Run with it for a week or two, then have the fluid changed again, and all should be well. Then for the the sake of your car, please change the fluid regularly!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts