Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 C220 which idles unevenly. My local merc indy mechanic tells me it is a reference sensor cable that needs replacing. Does this sound correct?

Also, ever since I have had the car (approx 9 years) it pulls forward when idling, obviously I have my foot on the break when stationary, but is this normal.

About 1 year ago I had to have a new head gasket, the car has done 140k and apart from this it works fine, should it keep going for another 50k miles or should I get rid of it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Answer to paragraph 1: Huh? Not really sure what a reference sensors is. But if you did have some kind of bad wiring in numerous sensors, it could cause a fluctuating idle.

Answer to paragraph 2: As with any vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission, this is normal.

Answer to paragraph 3: It really depends on how attatched you are to it. 202 C-classes are one of the better cars that MB produced. They'll age about the same as your average car. Suspension components start loosening up or crack as the car reaches 80-100k miles. But the M111 engine that you have, is a pretty stout little engine, and can last for a long time. A leaking head gasket or front cover are usually their worst and most costly problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
First do diagnostics with computer, then you must have your fuel injection system checked and cleaned. Also, check spark plug cables,wiring, replace spark plugs.

then u can buy some injector cleaner additives and add it to the fuel during refuelling.

111 engines are very good! and W202 cars are pretty good and reliable! suspension is not very good, but C-class is OK car! Dont get rid of it, just fix it and drive it with pleasure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C220 Uneven Idling

Thanks for the feedback, the part I have been advised to replace is a Crankshaft position sensor part reference F6010-163732 on the benz forum website. The engine has beendiagnosed and this apparently is the cure. I just don't want to spend the money replacing this to be told "ah well it must be something else...."

·
Registered
678 Posts
To be honest, if there's something wrong with the crankshaft position sensor, it'll usually kill the engine. I have never seen a crank sensor cause any runability problems. Only no starts or engine stall problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts