Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 C230K. A while back i had noticed issues involving acceleration. I would step on the pedal while driving on the highway, and I would get zero to little acceleration for a second or two before i would jerkily jump forward. Well, I took it in to the MB dealership, and they eventually came up that it was a bad air mass sensor/meter so I bought the part myself and with my trusty screwdriver replaced it. Now I am starting to get jerky acceleration for the first couple gears. It doesn't happen everytime, but still is this something that with puttin on some miles will adjust itself correctly, or do I need to get something reset, or could there be another problem? Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes, if your MAF sensor was indeed bad, in order to correctly repair it, you would have to reset your mixture adaptions after you replaced it. It may eventually adapt itself back to where it should be though. You might give it a few days and see if it improves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i just disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect it? will that reset it without me having to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm not sure. I know that it won't reset after a good hour or so of being disconnected. It seems like it should eventually reset if it's disconnected long enough, but it could be for days!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would be cautious about using the battery disconnect as a general reset device. I speak from experience (or inexperience). If you choose to follow that path remember you'll need to re-program your radio, windows, etc. Also, follow the directions in your owners manual about correct ignition key placement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys, I will be receiving the mass air meter saturday and wanted to know if I have to take the car to the dealer to reset it? It's a 1996 C280. I read that I might be able to reset it by turning the car on and off for about 20 times? If I disconnect the battery will it reset? I don't mind having to put the code on the radio on so forth. Thx

·
Registered
678 Posts
It won't reset by cycling the key. The internal memory of your engine control module would take a long time of being disconnected to clear. It might be easiest just to take it to a dealer and have them reset it. They'll most likely charge you a few tenths for it though.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It will reset after you drive it for a couple weeks or so. It will probably run quite poorly during this time. I'd just get it reset professionally and avoid further headaches.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I got the new meter saturday and its running okay. I still have the same issues as before, poor mpg, no QUICK accelerating and it still bogs when I floor it at a stand still. Do these C280's burn rubber when you floor it at a stand still? Mine just gives this bog (hesitation) and slowly pics up speed. after a good 3-4 seconds the car goes fast. It has never burned rubber since I bought it. it has 117,000 miles. What could be causing this? Next I'm going to change the fuel injectors to see if the boging goes away and maybe get it to have a faster pickup from a stand still.

Btw, the other day I raced a grand prix and I beat him. BUT, it took about 12 seconds to get about a cars distance than I was GONE. I felt I could have beat him way faster if the 3-4 hesitation would not be there. In 2 months I'm getting the power chip for that 20 more horses. Do these chips REALLY work?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
your car was never ment to be an "off the line" sort of car. It simply isn't geared for it. If that is your goal, I'd try to source a diff from a six cylinder 140. Much steeper gear to get that boat moving. That would quicken it up, although you'd lose top end and probably burn more gas.

Also, your car has 117,000 miles on it. While the m104 is a very well built motor, it's not going to perform like brand new. The acceleration pattern you describe sounds about right for the car.

As for the new meter, again, the effects of replacing it will not be instantaneous. It will take a month or so if you don't have it properly reset.

Why would you want to change the fuel injectors? A faulty injector would either cause a missfire or worse if it's leaking. There would be drivability issues. You are talking about throwing big dollars down a hole that could all be avoided if you just had a compotent tech at a dealer take a look at it.

And under no circumstances should you consider putting a chip on your vehicle. There will be no discernable benefits and you will be asking for electrical troubles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah after installing the Air mass meter in my c230k its still boggy for the first couple of gears after a cold start. It also takes longer to switch gears, it'll rev a lot higher rpms than it used to before switching to the higher gear. I think I'm gonna go to the MB dealer here in the next couple of days at have them reset it, im sick of looking like a 12 year old kid struggling with a stick shift because of my air mass meter :eek: :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wanted to change the injectors thinking that they were the problem that the car does not have the quick take off. I also have read good things about the power chip. You are the first one that has said it's not worth it and causes problems. That's ashame because I was REALLY looking forward to doing this. I'm going to do some more research on this before I decide. Thanks for the input. I will wait a month before going to the rip off folks (dealer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts