Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 C230 with 50K mi. Some times,the fuel indication in the instrument panel indicates empty while the tank is full. Some time the tank will not take full charge and reject the gas hose. This problem comes and goes!
What kind of fuel capacity indication system is in the tank? How can I troubleshoot and solve this problem? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have the same problem with mine sometimes. It reads half a tank right after i fill up. I always put 93octane in. I would also like to know what is causeing the problem and how hard is it to fix. i have an 02" c230

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had that happen to me twice. Both times I left the key in the ignition without turning it counter clockwise enough when filling the car. When I turned the car off completely and turned it back on the gauge read what I expected.

I suspsect that there is an data averaging calcualtion running. If the computer is on during a fill, the gauge may read an average of before and after. Hence, on and empty tank the tank would be physically filled and the gauge read only half. If you start your fill at 1/2 tank, the most it could read would be 3/4.

I've noticed on other cars that sudden acceleration or cornering can make the gas guage move 1/8 of tank. The data averaging would take these shfits out and allow the gas consumption and remaining milage displays to not jump around to the point of being useless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts