Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the digits in my 2000 C230 K odometer is unreadable. The dealership has told me that to correct the problem the entire instrument cluster must be replaced (more than $1000 for parts and labor). Does anyone know of a fix to this problem that does not involve replacing the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have a friend who had the same problem with his BMW – took it to the dealer and was told to replace the cluster also. He checked into it and, through a BMW forum, discovered a fix that involved changing just the LED bar for the odometer (this did not affect the odometer reading). He bought the part and did the work himself (snap in part) for less than $100. I was hoping someone out there might have done on their Benz. Let’s face it – even though Mercedes’ are great cars they sure are expensive to fix when something breaks. I find it absurd to have to pay $1000 to fix one digit in the odometer – ridiculous design if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've been at the dealer for years and years. We have never once, even under warranty, replaced just an LED bar. The whole cluster gets swapped no matter who is footing the bill. And while you're at it, why not pick up another $500.00 airmass meter, You may not need it now, but it'll happen soon enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts