Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a MC3010 (A203 820 90 89) 6 disk cd changer for the trunk. Dealer said they will install for $425. The unit cost less than that to purchase.

Does anyone know how to install or where the wires are located in the trunk? Is there any extra patch wires that you need? I checked the trunk and didn't find anything obvious such as a fiber optic wire and power in back of the panel just waiting to be plugged into the missing component.

Also, the dealer said that the head would need to be programmed to be able to "see" the added component. Is this easily done or is there a dealer supplied electronic device that needs to be attached for the programming.

Please, any help greatly appreciated. An ipod with headphones is looking better and better.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I believe if you remove the right trunk panel (could be the left), you should find the fiber optic cable and harness wrapped up and ready to install. There are basically two factory CD changers that could fit in this car. A older, bigger version, and a newer smaller version. If you bought it brand new from the dealer, you most likely have the smaller one. If that's the case, if your gonna use the factory bracket, you also need the adapter plates to make it fit into the bracket, which will also come with a new D2B connector to point the fiber optic cable in the right direction once installed. You can just plug it in, and it'll probably work at first, but if the head unit isn't version coded to recognize the new changer, it may eventually stop working. And the only way to really do this is at the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I'm going to tear that trunk apart this weekend and find those cables.

Ken

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found the correct wires on the right side of the trunk instead of the left where I was looking previously.

I found the fiber optic wires wrapped up but not connected to anything (just a loop) connected to itself. I also found that the phone was connected to the wires marked radio in and radio out. Since I don't have the phone I disconnected these wires and connected the fiber to the disc changer. This, in effect, added the disc changer to the fiber optic loop.

I immediately went to the drivers seat, turned the key, pressed CD on the radio and started listening to the CD I had placed in the changer! NO PROGRAMMING!! I instantly felt $400 richer since that's what the dealer told me it costs to install and "program" the head.

I don't know what needs to be programmed from a technical standpoint but it sounds like it may be just a line item on the dealer receipt so that they can charge you for something that you don't know about. I certainly didn't need any programming to make this work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You may have gotten lucky since the phone was connected to the loop. I was fairly lucky in that my dealer did the programming for free. There are still a few good ones out there, and New Country Motors in Hartford, CT USA is certainly one of them. (Not a shill, just a happy camper)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts