Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im finally getting some good money, and im needing a car.
I used to to a major Japanese fan, but since my friend has picked up his 03 Alpine white 325Ci, i've taken more of an interest in German Cars.

Since my cashflow is good, and im able to get a nicer car, than a dirtbag civic, this is what im looking into

A) 2002/2003 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor, Alabaster White, or Black w/ Sand/Oyster Leather Int, "Evoloution Package." BiXenon w/ Washers, and Security system, 6 speed. - 39,600ish...about 41-42,000 at the dealership (Im located in Canada :( )

B) 2003 Acura RSX-S in Again, Grand Prix White, or Jet Black, with Black Leatheret. Block heater, and Titanium Trim Package, 34,000, 6 speed. (Could pick up a buddies w/ Lowering, DC intake, Spoon n1 Exhaust, and Auth JDM headlights for currently 3,000 down, and 585 a month...payments pretty high tho )

C) Drive to USA, Pick up a 2003 Toyota MR-S. In White, with Black Leather, 5 speed. Comes to about 39,600 Canadian.

D) Hunt down a 93 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5 speed. Initial estimates from friends would run it to about 20,000 or so. KM's would be in the 120,000 or less range.

E) Hunt down a 91 240 SX with no Transmission prefs (Cause it would be replaced anyways with the SR's.), and drop in a 98spec Blacktop SR20det, and eventually, equip with Jun Internals, and GReddy or HKS Turbo (Possibly TD06, etc.)

A lot of my friends think its uuuuuggggly. And at first, i did too, but its really growing on me...and is most likely the top of my list.
My friend w/ the BMW Hates it, with a passion, and wants me to get an Audi A4 1.8T, or the RSX-S...Or, possibly, continue saving and hunt down a DC-2 R, (Integra type R).

Basically, im asking you guys for your oppinions on the C230Komp. Was it worth the money? How does it handle, is the performance good? What do you think of it...And lastly, Do you regret buying it, or would you buy it again if you could?
Thanks. Much Appriecated
-Darren.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".

Seems like you are either want to

1. Buy/lease a new C230 or RSX
2. Buy a used rice rocket

A C230 wil give you one of the best rides, forget street performance but you get something better - RESPECT from everyone. Xenon lights are a bonus plus the panoramic roof with REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Great cruiser especially with the women! Option: BMW 320i, Audi 1.8T (FWD)

RSX is a FWD tin can, trim is sub standard is it really brushed aluminum? I think not its really metal laquered plastic. Option: Lexus IS 300 - Xenon, RWD V6.

Toyota MR-S/MR-2? - I think you will find out that you will not be able to bring it across the border. If this car is not sold in Canada it most likely will not be legal to import or drive. Mainly because of Canada's higher crash safety (8 km bumper regulations). Option Honda S2000.

A used MR-2 or a 240 SX? A Ghetto opinion? For $15 to 20,000 Cdn you can get a C4 Corvette w/300 hp/350 lbs torque, 6-speed, racing technology in a pure stock car that can do RWD burn outs and tail slides with ease plus a 0-100 km straight line in 5.5 seconds.

One thing going for you is that you have no provincal taxes in Alberta.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree that the C230 is an excellent choice. It is the first actual hatchback(they call it a coupe to make it sound more expensive), and has great handling and rear wheel drive. Tracks like a greyhound after a hare!! For the money, I figured it was a bargain: ie. I paid about 42,000 Canadian plus 14.5 percent taxes(Groan) for your A option ie. the one you quote with the Oyster seats and Evolution underpinnings, which I dont have and dont see the need of because the tires wear out too fast--even if handling is a bit better.

Enjoy

al

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up a black on black 2003 c230 coupe yesterday with evolution pkg, leather, panorama roof, etc. I'm from Vancouver, Canada and I paid just under $44,000. My other choices were BMW, Infiniti g35 but I went with the 230. The others had much more value for the buck, but i wasn't after the big HP or others. I always believe on the saying, "you get what you pay for" Since I own an ML320 as well, i was already sold on the mercedes quality and safety. Get the 230, you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go with the c230 coupe or sedan, but get the evoloution package. My family has a e320 right now, and in about a month or two im getting a silver c230 sport sedan that comes with the "evo" package. im getting the heated seats, sunroof and bi xenon's...for a price of around 45. i have a 2001 subaru legacy gt right now, but benz is where it's at for me. they are just awsome cars.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
The reason I wouldn't buy a c230 (I'm registered to this site to do research for my girlfriend who is taking delivery of one today) is that I love modding my car. (Also, I'd never buy a brand new car, but that's another story...Mitsu Evo 8 has me tempted, though).

From what I gather, there aren't too many things available for a c230, and from what is out there, it's pretty pricey, e.g. $600+ for pullies 8O
If you think you'd be happy with a stock C230, then fine. But if you're the kind of person who is obsessed with being faster, thinking of rebuilding engines and tuning standalone fuel management systems, it may not be the best choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The amount you pay for worths up for the quality you get. The C230K definitely has some advantages than my Passat, although both are German. Prices explains it all. It drives smooth and quiet and is definitely a refined car.

Engine - As far as the engine is concerned, I have to admit that a C240/C320 engine runs "smoother" than a C230K. The difference is that C240/C320 runs a V6 while C230K runs on a inline-4, but personally I think Benz's inline-4 technology is not as refined as Audi/VW. But C230K engine is the way to go if you want a small engine with considerable amount of power.

Drive axis - I always have this thought about RWD cars, but if you're in Canada you might want to give this a thought too. Though most German cars nowadays come with ESP/ASR/whatever, an all-wheel-drive (e.g. Benz 4matic, BMW xi, Audi quattro, VW 4motion) definitely has handling and safety advantages. I live in Boston and regret not buying an all-wheel-drive car. Mine is a Passat without a 4motion and after driving one with 4motion made me say "dammit why didn't I get it too". My girl's is in LA so 4matic wouldn't matter to her at all.

"Moddability" - is what you might want to think about too. A C230K with the OEM options gets it pretty nice looking and slick on the road already. But if you intend to mod it to a great extent (like what me a Audi/VW enthusiast do) then you might need to give it a thought again. Benz mod accessories cost a lot more than other cars, BMW comes second.

Safety/crunchability - I'm all about German cars; they don't crush like Japanese or Korean or American. More strongly over this after seeing my friend total an IS300 in my rear view mirror on black ice and just to mention that IS300 is rwd too. Japanese cars crush i.e. Toyota, Acura, whatever you've mentioned. I've crushed the front of my ex-car Mazda 626 at like 30km/h. The front just WENT. This wouldn't happen to German cars because their build is way more solid. Another friend's BMW 325Ci, he was at McDonald's drive-through stopped and getting his #6 meal handed over when a drunk chick drove a Civic EX coupe and rear ended his BMW. The chick's front crunched (like totalled). but the BMW only had the bumper pushed in and didn't fall off. It was a very obvious damage difference between the two cars.

Thoughts - For the two options you've suggested, my advice for you is also to go with either a C230K fully loaded (~USD$40000) or A4 1.8T quattro fully loaded (~USD$35000). The choice is on your hands. Don't bother thinking about others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts