Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace the front pads on my 05 C230 Komp Spt sedan with some low dusting ceramic pads and was curious about the rotors. Normally I would have the rotors turned when I change pads but I'm not changing the pads due to wear, I'm changing them because the factory ones make more dust then an Iraqi sand storm, lol. The car has about 27,000 miles on it and I don't feel any shake or vibration from the pedal or steering wheel but how would I be able to tell if I need to replace the rotors since they are cross drilled and cannot be turned? They are however, starting to develop very slight grooves in line with the holes. I can barely feel the grooves with a finger and they aren't shiny or noisy, whadya think? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Never turn OEM MB brakes. The rotor material is way too soft and they'll warp very easily if turned. Benz uses very soft brake pad and rotor compound in order to increase initial braking power. So usually they break in very quickly. Thats why we can get away with slapping new pads on without turning or replacing the rotors. But it also means the rotors wear quickly, and many times have to be replaced whenever the pads are replaced. It's common for the factory cross drilled rotors to develop grooves where the holes are. This is normal. You'll probably be fine with just tossing the new pads in. They'll probably be alittle harder than the stockers, so they probably won't grab as hard as the stock pads when they're cold. After you install them, make sure you break them in with a few good medium to hard stops before calling it a done deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice, I'll go with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts