Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I now have 95,000 miles on my C230K I still enjoy it as the day it was new. Here in the midwest snow is just a fact of life in the winter - and so is road salt.

This is my fourth MBZ. I drive it every day. Even though I have a garage, it does not get parked in it every night. To enjoy the fullest of ownership I believe that I need to drive it - not just display or garage it.

I am anal about keeping it maintained and cleaned. I have waxed it, since new, at least eight times a year. I wash it at least twice a week in the winter.

At 55,000 miles (5,000 miles off of warranty) I noticed rust bubbles under the center door trim on the driver's side. By the time my closer inspection was done I found it to be on three of the four doors in the same area were affected.

I did contact MB and told them I was very disappointed - not what I expected to see for all of the efforts I make in keeping it clean.

Point is, I viewed several late 90's C230's in the last few weeks at two different dealers that are suffering the same rust problems.

I did have mine fixed, and it was quite costly; more so since it is metallic paint and they have to "fog in" adjoining areas to match.

You might want to keep an eye on your's if you live in the rust belt or if you are looking to by that vintage C230.

·
Registered
130 Posts
this is a commen spot for rust its not really from the salt and winter but it accelerates it due to the fact that the plastid strip from opening and closing the door wares the paint down and the salt accerates the rust i have had the exact same identical thing happen dealer wouldnt cover it, you may also want to check around you mirrors and trunk button there also commen spots that may need to be repaired, good wax job should help protect the car in the winter, i dont think the previous owner ever waxed my car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts