Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering a c230 Sport Sedan, but have had a hard time finding a 6-speed to test drive in NJ. I took the auto for a drive and was impressed, but I like control and feel of a manual. Is the Sport Sedan 6-speed the short-throw that the Coupe gets with the C7 package? Is there much difference? A local dealer has a couple of Coupes with the 6-speed. Any idea if I can expect the Coupe experience to be comparable. I would order a c230 sedan with the 6-speed in a minute if I drove it and loved it. Thanks for your thoughts.

-g

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found one in Paramus, NJ. Scheduled a test drive for Fri. I will try to post my experience. As others have mentioned, I thought that the automatic felt a bit sluggish around town, although I thought it was super on the highway. I'm hoping the 6-speed will feel a bit more lively.

I learned on Sat. that one friend of mine is participating in some Porsche rally, where he will be timed on a closed track. Today another buddy called to tell me he just bought a 911. You know what the song says, "My friends all drive Porsches..."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Five Speeds are NEVER enough!!

Hi,

I have a six speed sedan and I LOVE it!! I test drove the coupe with the sports package before I bought the sedan (without seeing or driving it) and I found them to be identical! The only difference is the cosmetics of the shifter & shift knob. You won't regret it! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Confused?

I am in the market for a C-class and had my heart set on a C230K sedan. When I went for a test drive with the 5-speed manual though - I felt let down. The steering wheel felt heavy, and the acceleration was sluggish. I attribute some of this to the fact that I was test-driving an automatic. Currenlty I'm looking around to find a dealer that has a manual.

In the meanwhile, I also took out a C240 sedan with the 6-speed maunal. I found it to be more responsive and a much smoother ride. Can anyone help me out here?? I;ve read all the rave reviews from the professionals regarding the benefits of the smaller 1.8 Liter engine, but really wasn;t able to feel them in the automatic I drove. The only other things I can attribute the sluggish feel and heavy wheel to are the sport tuned suspension and the larger 17" tires.

I short - why is the 230 priced $2000 less than the 240 if it's supposedly the same car, only with a better engine??

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you think the 230 with an auto is sluggish try driving a 240 with an auto. It has 20 hp and about 20 ft-lbs of torque less than the 230. Try to drive a 230 with the six speed. The 230 with the six speed should be almost a second quicker 0-60 than a six speed 240. The current programming of the auto in the 230 doesn't seem to be a good match with the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the c230 with 6-speed for a drive on Fri. I was hoping I would not be overly impressed and could forget about buying a Mercedes.

I loved it. The 6-speed manual makes a big difference. It is much more fun to drive. The engines revs more freely than you would think after driving the automatic and it really moves. The shifter throw is short and quick, though not as nice as some I've driven (Acura, Audi/VW). The ride is tight and the grip of those big 17" wheels really gives the car a solid feel.

My sister works for MBUSA, so I get the family rate. I can order an '04 with the 6-speed and only the CD player optional (I'm not a big options fan) for $26,200, a couple of hundred less if I do without metallic paint.

Certainly, the c230 is a great car and a decent value given the combination of fun and safety features. I want it. My only question remains, do I really want to spend $26,000 on a car. That would be about $10,000 more than I paid for my last car.

Thanks for all the good information and insight on this forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the sports sedan for little over a month now. I too had
the same thoughts when I was buying the car, to date this has been
the most expensive car I have purchased but after having the car for
the past month I'm very happy and contented with it, and it is really
worth the extra bucks! If you can handle the hike in your monthly
payments I would go fort it! Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts