Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This appears to be the main MB message board, true? I've owned BMW's in the past and always relied on bimmer.org. This board appears to be of the same grand quality (compliment).

Later this week I am going to take delivery of an 03 C230 sport sedan with the 6 speed (pewter, charcoal, C2, CD). As I previously stated, all I've every owned in the german car market is BMWs (87 325is, 94 530iT, 95 540i6). When I go car shopping, I normally do tons of research before I even drive a car. I never considered MB because I always thought it was out of the price range......until the other day. After driving a 325, 330, AccordEX V6-6speed, Mazda6s, Acura TSX-6speed and TL type S, I was on my way to drive an 04 Nissan Maxima 6speed when I noticed the MB dealership next door. So I went for a walk. To make a short story long ;), After driving a 6speed C230 coupe, I asked the salesman to see if he could find a 6speed Sedan (I have two small kids). A sedan was found, and deal was struck (after I negotiated a last minute "Jeff skips the BMW dealership on the way home price"). Although the acceleration didn't blow me away, the feel, ergonomics and price did. After I got home, I did some research and was very disturbed by what I found.

This car and MB was getting slammed. I realize that every car company will put out a lemon or two, but I was beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. Car & Driver didn't like it. Consumer Report gave the relability a big big fat black circle, and the experts on the online car sites (edmunds, KBB, etc) didn't have favorable things to say. Everyone said to go and buy a BMW 3 series instead. The only piece of mind was that the owner reports revealed more glowing reports than bad, and that bad ones equaled the bads coming from BMW, etc. So........

1. How is the reliability (I normally keep a car for 120K+ miles)? Any long term owners out there?

2. What are the known weak areas?

3. My big concern is the supercharger. Any known problems? Should it, will it last as long as the engine?

4. The dealership was pushing the extended warranty (I told them that I would be very disappointed if I had any major problems in the first 100K, so I declined). Now I'm considering it. Should I get it?

5. Speaking of dealers, I've been reading of dealers not covering labor under warranty work. Anyone seen that?

6. How is MBUSA's customer relations? How do they solve disputes that customers have with the dealership?

7. I know that Chrysler bought MB, has the quality and/or customer relations gotten worse since then?

Since my car was bought site unseen, the dealer said I don't have to take delivery of it if I don't like it. Any and all comments before Friday would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my C230 coupe for about 8 months now and have over 15,000 miles on it (I have a long commute). So far I have had no trouble at all and have only had one scheduled service. Because this model is so new 2002 for the coupe - 2003 for the sedan, I don't think you'll find any "long term" feedback yet.

There are a few sedan owners who post here and they all seem pretty happy. I'm considering trading to a sedan myself when the time comes (if not the C240-4 matic). I get the feeling that the auto rags have some bone to pick with MB and usually only give good ratings to the E class and higher.

Not much help, I know - but good luck if you go ahead with it. I don't believe in extended warranties either - it's just 100% profit for the dealer. The 4 year 50,000 mile warranty is pretty inclusive.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I don't have time to write a detailed reply right now. The major problems with C class are electronic. I have had a coupe for over a year and a half and the worst problem have been a rattle in a headrest, and a squeak in the sun roof. The service advisor and techs at my dealer have been very good.

Keep in mind that the number 1 complaint about the C class on the J. D. Powers reliability reports is brake dust. As a BMW owner, you already know about that.

You have a year or 12,000 miles to decide on the extended warranty. A woman named Lisa Lehrman or Lehrbaum at a dealer in CA sells them at a good discount.

MB bought Chyrsler, drained Chrysler's cash reserve and fired any executive who protested that or other shortsited decisions made by MB and replaced them with Germans.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think it comes down to one car,one driver. Except for the chance "lemon" if modern cars are driven in the manner one would expect from a young father, you will do just fine.
However, as a belt & suspenders kind of guy, I would, and did opt for the Lisa Lehrbaum bargin extended warrenty. 36 months,100,000 mile extended warrenty @ $1,700 which will provide good sleeping for at least the next six years and is transferable. A good selling point.
Relax & enjoy your M/B in good health :roll:
Zada

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are a few problems

8) I had a few problems with my Mercede C230. It was delivered in Nov 2001 in Canada. All problems have been repaired under warranty. Here are the problems that I had in order of their occurence:
1. CD doesn't work: Fiber optic problem
2. Directection is heavy: Pump changed
3. Front sway bar makes a lot of noice: Broken swaybar link + used bushings
4. Rear transfer case leaking
5. Very thin coat of painting: can't fix it ....

I still love the car and I don't regret to have it. My wife has a Volvo S40 and that car is far worst. For your money you get a lot of staff. I especially like the ESP. In Canada it is very useful. The ESP on the mercedes is much better than on the BMW 330.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2002 C230 K Coupe..since 8-01. It has been in the shop 41 days in less than 2 years....five times for fuel gauge problems..which were not completely rectified until I did research and made a suggestion (rear SAM unit was the culprit..NOT the fuel sending device..or the fuel sensors..all which had been replvced to no avail). All problems electronic; in addition to fuel gauge, sunroof not opening..passenger mirror not dipping when in reverse...head rests not retracting....other sunroof issues...window switch problems...seat memory problems...and today..a real kicker. BOTH turn signal sockets electrical contacts were burned out....but only one presented a problem. They replaced both sockets with upgrades per a Dealer Technical Bulletin from a year ago. One would think that during all that time it spent in serivce, they would have been pro-active and replaced them BEFORE they burned out....since it was apparently inevitable. However, never any recalls..notices..nada.
Thing is, it's not just this car...I know folks with CLK's with similar problems. Check the web...S classes are not immune. IMO..Mercedes' are electronically challenged...and that is why the reliability is poor. However, the handling, breaking, acceleration are incredible. By and large..you can get a good one..and I hope in your case, your car will be trouble free. It just seems like more and more a trouble free Benz is becoming the exception to the rule. A relative who has owned high end (CLKS and S Classes) Mercedes for almost 15 years gave up..he now owns a Lexus instead. Just chat with the folks waiting for service..you will be very saddened by what you hear. And..this is the company that is producing a car that will cost in excess of $300K (Maybach). Can you see spending over a quarter of a million on a car...and your head rest won't retract...or..you sunroof won't open???? Jheesh!!
We were planning on upgrading to a CLK when our lease is up next year. Now? NOT! And I am REALLY glad that we leased, and the car becomes their problem after next year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
c230k reliabilty

To all those lucky enough to find this forum page before they buy a benz my advice is ...don't. My 2002 c230k is a piece of crap. Maybe that is what the 'k' stand for. 2 repairs to the front end, window regulator repaired 4 times and replaced twice, parking brake not retracting 5 times so far...goes in tomorrow for repair number six, failed to start once...the temperature sensor thought it was minus 55 degrees and flooded itself contaiminating the crankcase oil. Numerous bulb replacements...the inner fender well was never attached to the body in the factory..and so on....and the worst part is the missus owns an Acura that is never broken and I hear about it every time she has to come get me.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
you need an exteneded warranty. contact MBP. they take exceptional care of my clients and cover more than the starmark or MB elw warranties. you will get to know your service advisor. i see lots and lots of C coupes with lots and lots of little problems. the car is inexpensive but the parts are not. and no, the supercharger will not last as long as the engine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have had my coupe since June of 2002. With the exception of replacing the seal around the front windshield (seal was in two pieces instead of one), no real problems to date. I thoroughly enjoy my car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
WARRENTY VIA MBP

PHAEDRUS242 said:
you need an exteneded warranty. contact MBP. they take exceptional care of my clients and cover more than the starmark or MB elw warranties. you will get to know your service advisor. i see lots and lots of C coupes with lots and lots of little problems. the car is inexpensive but the parts are not. and no, the supercharger will not last as long as the engine.
===============================================
I
HOPE YOU GOT MY MESSAGE.
IY YOUR REPLY 'BOUNCED",PLEASE REPLY HERE ON THE BOARD.
I AM SURE OTHERS ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN YOUR RESOURCE.
DID YOU BUY FROM THIS COMPANY FOR YOUR M/B/ :?:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
MBP's main number is 800.325.7484. this is the number i have for claims, i'm not sure if they handle sales through that number, but at least they can point you in the right direction. i deal with them a lot at my shop and my F&I department sells their warranties. they are definately the best i've dealt with (and i've dealt with hundreds). they're pretty competetive with other companies. if they won't sell to you direct (i don't know why they wouldn't), message me and i'll work something out with the rep. i wouldn't own a german car without them (although demos go back between 2-6k, ahhhh, perks)

·
Registered
42 Posts
PHAEDRUS242 said:
MBP's main number is 800.325.7484. this is the number i have for claims, i'm not sure if they handle sales through that number, but at least they can point you in the right direction. i deal with them a lot at my shop and my F&I department sells their warranties. they are definately the best i've dealt with (and i've dealt with hundreds). they're pretty competetive with other companies. if they won't sell to you direct (i don't know why they wouldn't), message me and i'll work something out with the rep. i wouldn't own a german car without them (although demos go back between 2-6k, ahhhh, perks)
==========================================================
THANX FOR YOU REPLY.
PLEASE EXPLAIN THE LAST SENTENCE ABOUT DEMOS.
THANX :idea:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
just talkin' smack...
i work for the company so i have any number of new MB's at my disposal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts